This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repository does not have release file

Since installing something (I forget what...) a few days ago, I keep getting this message:

$ sudo apt-get update
    ​...
    Err:11 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/aheck/ppa/ubuntu jammy Release
    404 Not Found [IP: 2620:2d:4000:1::3e 443]

Reading package lists... Done
    W: file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool/dists/jammy/Release.gpg: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the
    DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.
    E: The repository 'https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/aheck/ppa/ubuntu jammy Release' does not have a Release file.
    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
    How do I get rid of this?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Originally posted by joneall View Post
    Code:
    The repository 'https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/aheck/ppa/ubuntu jammy Release' does not have a Release file
    This because the owner of the PPA here does not provide packages for Jammy. You will want to remove it. This one hasn't seen an update since 2010

This one is just messaging, and can be ignored, if you want to:
    Code:
    W: file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool/dists/jammy/Release.gpg: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the
    DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details
    Nothing is broken here, but at some point in the future, the key storage for this specific item won't be supported any longer. Not any time soon.

In this particular case, the 'preinstalled pool' repo info can be removed -- it is simply the extra deb files found on the install ISO used for some things like dkms and some driver packages.
    This can be removed, which will remove the warning. It is not really useful on a working installed system.

It will either be a line if your sources.list, or a separate file in/etc/apt/sources.list.d with 'preinstalled' or something similar in the name. I cannot recall where.
    This normally is removed after the install, but I have seen it get left behind some times.

Comment

You have an ancient PPA set up, for Andreas Heck, last updated in 2010. I've difficulty imagining how, or why.

There'll either be a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d that has "aheck" in it, or a line in /etc/apt/sources.list. The quick and dirty solution is to delete the file, or the line (carefully). Cleaner would be to use sudo apt-add-repository --remove, but having a 2010 repo set up is not a clean situation.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for the info. I delted /etc/apt/sources.list.d/aheck-ubuntu-ppa-jammy.list and that problem is fixed. But I still get

$ sudo apt-get update
        ​...

Reading package lists... Done
        W: file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool/dists/jammy/Release.gpg: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt
        /trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.
        In /etc/apt/preinstalled-pool.list, I have

deb [arch=amd64] file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool/ jammy main restricted universe multiverse
        Should I delete that too? I hesitate...

Thanks again.

​​
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

That is only a warning. You can ignore it.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In /etc/apt/preinstalled-pool.list, I have

Should I delete that too? I hesitate...

Thanks again.

​​
            You can delete that file if you wish, as I mentioned it is only pointing at the iso file on a USB stick, used mainly for the live session for a small number of wifi and other drivers.
            It normally is removed post-install, but I have seen it left behind before.
            You don't need it, though the warning is harmless, and does not prevent you from updating or anything.

Comment

Working...
            X