This is not normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    BTW, users of some other distros are experiencing the same failures to install wine32 and not all are because of libpoppler.
    That was specifically from neon not building a 32-bit package related to this, which broke dependencies for wine. 32- and 64-bit packages have to be identical in Debian/Ubuntu systems. This is unrelated to any other system or distro.
    That one was fixed already, some time back (months?)
    The new one is from a dependency for Digikam, with a different package.
    This too has been fixed, but does need a workaround once the new packages lists and updated apt configs have been installed.

MY point was that they said that 32-bit was not a priority, which does NOT mean that there will no support or attempts to remedy things.

But it is not always as simple to just "build a 32 bit package", it often means setting up builds for the entire 32 bit stack, or more likely pretty deeply down the dependency chain, as Ubuntu only provide a limited set of 32 bit packages to begin with, and iirc not the whole build chain.

It does not matter if people are treating neon as a proper distro or not. Their focus is, and always has been a rolling Plasma, things outside it have less priority.
    32 bit/wine breakages are not new at all, going back to at least to the 18.04 base.
    And certain ancient and crusty version of Qt based applications from Ubuntu's Universe repos will not install with neon, as they are hard coded (by Debian, not Ubuntu) to require an exact version of a Qt package, one that isn't even necessary to run them. This has been an issue since the very beginning, as well as for some third party debs for Qt applications that are essentially modified from ones built for Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
      This worked for me as well!
      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Anyone care to explain what exactly happened and what I can do to avoid this in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
          Anyone care to explain what exactly happened and what I can do to avoid this in the future?
          Basically, every time there is a library or some component that a KDE program uses, that isn't specifically KDE related, needs an update, there is a potential conflict when Neon provides an update to that thing, if they do not build a related 32-bit package to match,
          Sometimes a dependency or sub-dependency is also needed by something Wine/Steam related , for 32-bit support. Usually Wine, and more often the third-party WineHQ packages.
          They usually catch this, but historically there have been similar dep breakages off and on since at least 2018.

Apparently fixing this is not as straightforward as just building a 32 bit package. Ubuntu doesn't build many 32-bit packages, and the build-dependency chain to do so iirc can go deeper than what Ubuntu provide packages for.
          Also, Neon use 64-bit build servers, and not all the packages for 32-bit are able to be cross-compiled, they need dedicated 32-bit systems.

Then there is the voodoo and incantations needed to properly pin the correct packages without breaking stuff elsewhere.

tl;dr it is too complex for me to fully grasp.

They have discussed creating more involved build tests to catch these 32-bit conflicts, but no idea where that actually sits.

Now, to avoid this, you have a few choices.
          1. Don't use neon
          2. Don't install Wine or WinHQ
          3. Use a non-system-installed wine implementation, such as Lutris, and its Runners, or Bottles, or even the flatpak for Wine. Steam should be OK, it doesn't use as much of the 32-bit stack at all, and those are well-known and simple.
          I use option #2, with an occasional #3, I am a wannabe Linux Steam gamer, and haven't used a system-installed Wine in many years. Lutris covers most of what I need, and its flatpak has ALL the 32 bit deps built-in. Both Lutris and Bottles can download different wine implementations, such as those based on Steam's Proton that offer fairly easy switching between versions, making finding a good setup for a specific game or application a lot easier. I have not bothered to try the WIne flatpak. I rarely need to run a Windows application that isn't a game these days. Lutris and Bottles have covered things when I have.
          Last edited by claydoh; Mar 16, 2023, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• claydoh
            claydoh commented
            Editing a comment
            Typing '#Number' with some punctuation posts fine, but using # 3 (without the space, or any punctuation connected) seems to insert a url, lol...like this: number 2: Forum aaand number 3 Blogs .

The bbcode that results is this:
            Code:
             number 2: [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE]  aaand number 3 [NODE="3"]Blogs[/NODE]
            Last edited by claydoh; Mar 16, 2023, 02:23 PM.

• Snowhog
            Snowhog commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I’ve seen this. Just haven’t been inclined to inquire about why; what mechanism; causes this.
        Working...
        X