SOLVED: Can't start VMware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Can't start VMware

Not sure this is the correct place to post. I hope it is or someone can tell me where. Background: I started using Linux (Mepis) in 2004, transitioned to NetRunner, Kubuntu, and KDE Neon. Since the beginning I have had to run a virtual machine to run one specialized program (now called app). Started with vmware and transitioned to virtualbox. About 2017ish Ubuntu/Kubuntu/KDE Neon had a major problem on my system and life was happening so I went back to Windows until I could get things settled down. Now I am simi-retired and have time to get back to Linux. Dual booting Windows 11 with KDE Neon 5.27 and I would like to completely ditch Windows. I am running on AMD Ryzen 7 5700, 16 GB RAM, nvidia RTX 3060, and a 4k monitor. I installed VBox and the display was fine, but in my application it was unreadable. I installed the nvidia drivers, but no improvement.

I been trying for several days (and reinstalls of Kubuntu and KDE Neon) to run vmware. I update everything, install "build-essential", download and install vmware workstation player 17, attempt to install the "vmware-host-modules" from github. I am pretty sure this is the problem. At the end I get:
    "Starting VMware services:
    "Virtual machine monitor failed
    "Virtual machine communication interface done
    "VM communication interface socket family done
    "Virtual ethernet failed
    "VMware Authentication Daemon done
    "Unable to start services"

​I then start vmware and build a new virtual machine. When I try to start it to install Windows I get "​Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory. Please make sure that the kernel module 'vmmon' is loaded."

I thought/think it is secure boot related since I had the same thing on a laptop and finally turned off secure boot to verify that my app would work in vmware. It does. Any ideas? I cannot believe how much I have forgotten in 5 years.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

I'm running KDE neon too.
    Forget vmware. Install qemu & kvm as per instructions given here and then install WinXX in the vm:
    https://www.how2shout.com/linux/how-...-04-20-04-lts/

Forgetting stuff is getting easier the older I get. I'm 81. If it were not for the Internet I'd have no memory at all. When I forget how to use the browser I'll be done.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll update the forum.
      "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by okie2003 View Post
        Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll update the forum.
        If, by chance, you are using BTRFS then use the following command BEFORE you create your first virtual drive:

sudo chattr +C /var/lib/libvirt/images/

This turns OFF copy on write on the images sub-directory, otherwise you'll corrupt your root subvolume.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I started with a fresh install of KDE Neon. Installed Nvidia drivers. Then I read your article, a couple of others, and watched a couple of YouTube videos. I created a machine and started to install Windows 11. I got an error message from the Windows installer: "This PC can't run Windows 11. This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements to install this version of Windows." This happened twice with a fresh install of KDE Neon in between. My VM has 8 processor threads and 8 GB RAM with a 110 GB hard-drive. I will research more, but if y'all have any ideas I would appreciate it.

Comment

Perhaps something with the "secure boot" requirement of Windows 11 :

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86207
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 11, 2023, 03:29 AM.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Thanks! Yes, I have found some articles on Windows 11 TPM & secure boot requirements in virtual machines. I will let y'all know how it works.

Comment

SOLVED: Thanks so much for your input & tips. With your help and advice I now have a Windows VM running on my laptop and desktop at 4K resolutions in QEMU/KVM.

Comment

Originally posted by okie2003 View Post
                  SOLVED: Thanks so much for your input & tips. With your help and advice I now have a Windows VM running on my laptop and desktop at 4K resolutions in QEMU/KVM.
                  Great! You gave up having your Mazzerati being pulled by a horse and put the horse in your Linux trunk!

Comment

Working...
                  X