Plasma Integration not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Plasma Integration not working

Firefox 110 on Neon from the Team Mozilla repo naturally.

Plasma Integration installed on system and Firefox.

Firefox Plasma Integration complains it cannot connect to host.

I've Googled this until I'm pink in the face, There are many people with the same problem. Nothing seems to fix it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230210_104933.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	668451
    Last edited by Beerislife; Feb 09, 2023, 08:27 PM.
    Constant change is here to stay!

Have you logged off since your last update? Maybe even rebooted?

I find if there have been Plasma related updates, and I haven't, this breaks for a bit.
    Or Firefox's upgrade breaks it and Plasma has to catch up.
    Often these two are related.

Or a bad combo of extensions.
    Or a corruption in the browser profile.

Or some combo of all the above,

I have personally had all of these happen regularly and persitently on one system, in relation to Plasma Integration, as well as another extension that also uses a native host, but has nothing to do with Plasma, while my clunker laptop only sees it temporarily after a plasma update, some times. Both computers are using FF's sync feature.
    I suspect some oddity in Mozilla's build, maybe. Though it does not occur using Firefox-ESR, from the same repo.
    I think it is more likely, in my case, extensions colliding. No problems in a week now, since I ditched all but the two that kept breaking, and a clean profile.

Comment

It hasn't been working since I installed Neon again a few days ago. The PC gets shutdown every night, so it's been rebooted several times.

Yesterday I disabled all my extensions and restarted FF but still no luck.

Some people have the same problem with Chrome but it's working fine for me there. I'd switch to Chrome but it lacks the very important Facebook/Instagram Containers extension!

Comment

Have you got GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 set in the environment? Without that my vim and firefox use the GTK file picker which is awful compared to the plasma one.

I suggest running
        Code:
        GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 firefox
        in a konsole to check it.

To get it set for firefox being run by plasma, such as an icon in the panel, at one point it had to be set very early and places like ~/.profile or /etc/environment didn't work. It had to be in a script in system settings, startup and shutdown, autostart, pre-startup scripts. Note, an unobvious bump I stumbled on is that the script is sourced by dash, despite any shebang, and bashisms and even some POSIXisms don't work.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Code:
          GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 firefox
          returns nothing, but a new FF window opens with no change to the Plasma Integration state.

Comment

I found a fix, it's now working.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kdeneon/com...n_not_working/

Comment

Ya, that didn't work for me when it started happening (after my reply, and on a clean install), so I didn't mention it, and I sort of forgot it.
              What has fixed it for me, and has held for more than a few days, has been to nuke my mozilla config dir and start with a fresh one for Firefox, and leave off all my previous extensions (for the moment) except for Plasma integration and an Open in Chrome one I use that also uses a (different?) native host. and breaks at the same time.
              I haven't started adding back extensions just yet to see which ones may be breaking things for me.

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              To get it set for firefox being run by plasma, such as an icon in the panel, at one point it had to be set very early and places like ~/.profile or /etc/environment didn't work. It had to be in a script in system settings, startup and shutdown, autostart, pre-startup scripts. Note, an unobvious bump I stumbled on is that the script is sourced by dash, despite any shebang, and bashisms and even some POSIXisms don't work.
              I just set it in about:config, since some version before 100. There are a number of XDG related settings available there now, it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                […]
                I just set it in about:config, since some version before 100. There are a number of XDG related settings available there now, it seems.
                That is exactly what the KDE guys and girls suggest for the file picker:
                https://community.kde.org/Distributi..._configuration
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Working...
                X