This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admin access in dolphin enabled by kio-admin

KDE Neon (don't know if this is in in kubuntu yet) has package "kio-admin" that will bring "root" access to dolphin (and other kio-enabled apps) via policykit (so it should work on wayland, too), should make some people happy again.

The new kio-protocol is admin://, which you can use as "dolphin admin:///" or "dolphin admin:///etc", for example...you can also right-click a directory in dolphin and choose "Open as Administrator" in the menu.

https://apachelog.wordpress.com/2022/08/04/kio-admin/
    Last edited by kubicle; Dec 10, 2022, 03:24 PM.

Thanks for the tip! Don't know whether it's there in standard 22.04 but it's in kubuntu backports.

Comment

Doesn't work, at least not here.

After installing kio-admin and restarting, using Dolphin and navigating to /etc/apt/preferences.d and right-clicking on org-kde-neon-net-launchpad-ppa-mozillateam-pin and clicking on Open as Administrator, I'm prompted for my pwd and another Dolphin window is opened in the same directory. The file itself doesn't open.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Doesn't work, at least not here.

After installing kio-admin and restarting, using Dolphin and navigating to /etc/apt/preferences.d and right-clicking on org-kde-neon-net-launchpad-ppa-mozillateam-pin and clicking on Open as Administrator, I'm prompted for my pwd and another Dolphin window is opened in the same directory. The file itself doesn't open.
        You don't need it to edit files, you can simply open them in kate and it will ask for permissions when you save it (this has worked for years), with the kio-admin you can open directories/folders "as root" for copying/moving, changing permissions etc. (the file management stuff, that has been tricky in the past)
        Last edited by kubicle; Dec 10, 2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Ah! Thanks for the explanation/clarification.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
            You don't need it to edit files, you can simply open them in kate and it will ask for permissions when you save it (this has worked for years), with the kio-admin you can open directories/folders "as root" for copying/moving, changing permissions etc. (the file management stuff, that has been tricky in the past)
            Yup. It works.

Sometimes it bugs me twice for a password.
            I installed this a few days back, and it was acting weird(er?), so I didn't bring it up, as I saw that KDE Gear updates were in the pipe ( ie late ) for neon.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Sometimes it bugs me twice for a password.
              Haven't seen that yet, but it is v1.0.0 so I'd expect a few cracks hiding in there.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                Haven't seen that yet, but it is v1.0.0 so I'd expect a few cracks hiding in there.
                One thing I noticed is that you can't change ownerships with it (at least not yet).
                Doesn't affect me personally since I'm more of a krusader person, but I'm sure that's one thing people would like to have.
                Last edited by kubicle; Dec 12, 2022, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X