This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Further observations

After my unplanned venture with neon unstable developer I've installed the user version.

For the first attempt I ticked the boxes that will download any available updates during the installation.

The result was not good, unstable and impossible to find the Kubuntu-driver-manager application.
    Yes it was installed but it would not show up in the system setting.

Manual installation of the nVidia-375 driver did not give a nice screen.
    So yesterday I tried a new installation, now without any updates and the resulting system worked better.

I invoked a full update and I still had a working system.

Installing the Kubuntu-driver-manager application worked, it's icon showed up in the system setings.
    Next I used it to installed the nVidia-384 driver that I also use on Kubuntu 16.04

But running it in neon is not the smooth experience I am used to on Kubuntu.

Luckily the Bumblebee/ Prime switch in the nVidia Server Settings works and I'm presently running the Intel driver.
    The problem with the intel card is it won't allow a second scree.

I've never had satisfactory results updating during the install. I tick the install proprietary media drivers but not the "update during install". I wait until the installation is complete and then I run the update from the CLI.

I added the nvidia ppa for Xenial, and used Muon to install nvidia-371 (latest at the time) and it brought in several dependencies and automatically set everything up properly. When I rebooted my NVidia GT 650M because the default GPU, even though it cannot be set as the primary GPU in the BIOS. I can use the NVidia Config GUI to switch between the Intell HD3000 and the GT 650M, but I always leave it running the GT. I also pinned the nvidia apps using Muon so that updates won't change them. (If it's not broke I am not going to fix it)

I also selected Btrfs as my fs.
    The result is that my Neon User Edition is the best "distro" I've run since I've started using Linux in 1998.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X