This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    as to the nvidia thing ,,,,the driver tool was not included in system settings I think because it quit working and no one has fixed it yet.

the CLI tool dose still work [CODE]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ ubuntu-drivers devices
    As kubuntu-driver-manager, and the ubuntu-drivers programs are not official KDE projects, they are not part of Neon. They can be installed, though.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      As kubuntu-driver-manager, and the ubuntu-drivers programs are not official KDE projects, they are not part of Neon. They can be installed, though.
      AAAAaaaaaaand it works once again ,,,,,,,,,my bad

VINNY > with egg on his face
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks claydoh, Vinny and oldgeek.

As per Vinny's suggestion I first installed the ubuntu-drivers from the CLI and next installed the 375 driver.
        I don't know where it came from, it doesn't show up in Discover, but hey, it works and I can now use the external screen as should be.

The same for the Kubuntu-driver manager, it shows up in Muon and apt installed it making me much happier.

Because Muon still insists to remove the neon desktop and other essentials, this is after flushing and rebuilding the apt cache, I will only use it for searches that deliver nothing in Discover.
        I might be dumb but I really don't see any advantage for newbies in such an application, there is no transparency at all about what it does.

Back to adding repo's, the Discover option does not tell me anything about the format it wants.
        I can't use the otherwise dead-easy way Muon would allow adding of repositories, it fails with the error I posted as a screen shot.

Because it has the nVidia 381 driver I want to include the xorg-edgers repo and will probably use the CLI or just edit the file.

So far neon works and it boots considerably faster than Kubuntu 16.04
        Once I'm happy with it it's probably going to replace 16.04, I am keeping 14.04 because of things like working KIPI plug-ins and some widgets that were not (yet) ported to QT5.

Update:

I just noticed neon has a working KIPI !

One thing I like about neon is the calender again has the same (holidays) functionality it had in QT4.

Now I'm going to hunt down a transparent panel...
        Last edited by Teunis; Sep 04, 2017, 12:24 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

In the mean time I've come to (more or less) understand (and pacified) the differences re. Discover and apt.

So now I do have the nVidia 384 driver and found several of the things that went missing since QT4 have been repaired.
          The system works nice and I love the frequent updates.

Next I'm almost ready to wipe 14.04 and replace it with something newer, should it be good old Kubuntu or neon, that's the question
          I will probably have to install the upcoming 17.10 to find out how far ahead neon is.

Regretfully the boss has found me another place to fly to awaiting the repairs in Houston, no it's not Miami

Btw, I've returned to the Oxygen theme
          And found Ark doesn't work because of an unmet dependency with libzip5
          Last edited by Teunis; Sep 05, 2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

The problem I have with Muon seems to have to do with the difference between apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade.
            Muon uses the latter, the former will only upgrade minor versions (bug fixes), the latter major versions, including new functions, and that's what Muon also does.

Because I once ran apt dist-upgrade it seems Muon has taken in these proposed changes.
            Here it seems it tries to remove neon and revert to Kubuntu.

Well, these are my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              The problem I have with Muon seems to have to do with the difference between apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade.
              Muon uses the latter, the former will only upgrade minor versions (bug fixes), the latter major versions, including new functions, and that's what Muon also does.

Because I once ran apt dist-upgrade it seems Muon has taken in these proposed changes.
              Here it seems it tries to remove neon and revert to Kubuntu.

Well, these are my thoughts.
              did you try what I suggested in post #14 ?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Yes I did these cleaning commands but nothing changed except the dist-uprade wants to remove a whole swath of essential applications.
                (Some of it is in Dutch)

Code:
                De volgende pakketten zijn automatisch geïnstalleerd en zijn niet langer nodig: 
                 discover discover-data fonts-noto fonts-noto-cjk fonts-noto-mono fonts-noto-unhinted gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk3-engines-breeze ieee-data kaccounts-providers kded5 kgamma5 libaccounts-glib0
                 libaccounts-qt5-1 libcln6 libdiscover2 libfakekey0 libibus-1.0-5 libkaccounts1 libkf5emoticons-bin libkf5emoticons-data libkf5emoticons5 libkf5holidays-data libkf5holidays5 libkf5jsembed-data
                 libkf5jsembed5 libkf5people-data libkf5people5 libkf5peoplebackend5 libkf5peoplewidgets5 libkf5xmlrpcclient-data libkf5xmlrpcclient5 libkfontinst5 libkfontinstui5 libplasma-geolocation-interface5
                 libqalculate5-data libqt5designercomponents5 libscim8v5 libsignon-plugins-common1 libsignon-qt5-1 libtaskmanager6 libuv1 libweather-ion7 libxcb-record0 muon-notifier nodejs nodejs-legacy
                 plasma-desktop-data plasma-integration qdbus-qt5 qml-module-org-kde-activities qml-module-org-kde-extensionplugin qml-module-org-kde-kholidays qml-module-org-kde-kwindowsystem
                 qml-module-org-kde-solid qml-module-qt-labs-settings qml-module-qtwebkit qml-module-ubuntu-onlineaccounts qtdeclarative5-qtquick2-plugin qttools5-dev-tools signon-plugin-oauth2 sni-qt sshfs
                Gebruik 'sudo apt autoremove' om ze te verwijderen.
                De volgende pakketten zullen VERWIJDERD worden:
                 kdeconnect kinfocenter libkf5purpose-bin libqalculate5v5 neon-desktop plasma-desktop plasma-widgets-addons plasma-workspace plasma-workspace-wayland qml-module-org-kde-purpose sddm-theme-breeze
                0 opgewaardeerd, 0 nieuw geïnstalleerd, 11 te verwijderen en 0 niet opgewaardeerd.
                Na deze bewerking zal er 60,0 MB schijfruimte vrijkomen.
                Whereby the first sentence says: The next packages were automatically installed and no longer needed.
                Then it tels me to use autoremove to remove them followed by: The next packages will be REMOVED.

So I answered No.

And tried sudo apt upgrade which gave:
                Code:
                Entering ResolveByKeeprgerekend... 50%
                 Dependencies are not satisfied for plasma-workspace [ amd64 ] < 4:5.10.1+p16.04+git20170610.0324-0 -> 4:5.10.5+p16.04+git20170904.1424-0 > ( kde )
                Keeping package plasma-workspace:amd64
                 Dependencies are not satisfied for plasma-workspace-wayland [ amd64 ] < 4:5.10.1+p16.04+git20170610.0324-0 -> 4:5.10.5+p16.04+git20170904.1424-0 > ( kde )
                Keeping package plasma-workspace-wayland:amd64
                Opwaardering wordt doorgerekend... Klaar
                De volgende pakketten zijn achtergehouden:
                 plasma-workspace plasma-workspace-wayland
                De volgende pakketten zullen opgewaardeerd worden:
                 kdeconnect kinfocenter neon-desktop
                3 opgewaardeerd, 0 nieuw geïnstalleerd, 0 te verwijderen en 2 niet opgewaardeerd.
                Er moeten 1568 kB aan archieven opgehaald worden.
                Na deze bewerking zal er 1024 B extra schijfruimte gebruikt worden.
                Some unmet dependencies so two packages are held beck and three can be upgraded, which I did.

This is what I mean with the difference between the two upgrade options.

Comment

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...g-dependencies
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sudo apt upgrade and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade are not the same.

See https://askubuntu.com/questions/7701...t-dist-upgrade
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Which is why I do 99.999% of package management with apt in a Konsole. I'll use Muon when I can't think of the exact name of an app or the package name a feature is in. For downloaded deb packages I use QApt Package Installer.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

could we see

Code:
                        cat /etc/apt/sources.list
                        and
                        Code:
                        ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d
                        VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Code:
                          teunis@teunis-verbatim:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
                          deb http://mirror.nforce.com/pub/linux/ubuntu/ xenial main restricted universe multiverse
                          deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse
                          deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-updates main restricted universe multiverse
                          teunis@teunis-verbatim:~$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d
                          graphics-drivers-ubuntu-ppa-xenial.list  neon.list  neon.list.save  xorg-edgers-ubuntu-ppa-xenial.list  xorg-edgers-ubuntu-ppa-xenial.list.save

Comment

This may give prettier output:
                            Code:
                            grep -Ev '(^#|^ *$|deb-src)' /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
                            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

what was installed from "nforce" and why was it added

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

A few days ago nforce was the fastest mirror.
                                Otherwise it's just one of the three standard repositories.

Comment

Working...
                                X