This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen on boot after trying to reinstall makemkv

I tried to reinstall makemkv --which used to work but apparently expired--. Everything seemed to go well except makemkv still said files were too old and autoexited. On a reboot, I get the grub menu, I choose Neon and get the splash screen then a black screen. I can CTR>ALT>F? and login, then run startx to get my gui back but I'm not sure where to start to fix this.

TIA,

SpecialEd
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

just how did you go about installing it .

looks to me as though it's a "make" "make install" deal ,,,,,yes/no .

is their an uninstall option in the install script ?

what did you need it to do ,,,,their are other tools to do some of those things

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, "make" "sudo make install". I used it to rip my DVDs to mkv files, which I then converted to mp4, via Handbrake to store on an external HDD. It used to work quite well. Apparently, it has been in beta for years and I guess after 30 days or whatever my trial expired. I reinstalled it and that's when the black screen on boot appeared. Also is still says, the files are too old, so it doesn't even work. I reinstalled it with the same results.
      Last edited by SpecialEd; Aug 31, 2017, 03:07 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

When you get the F2 screen try this:
        sudo systemctl restart sddm
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          When you get the F2 screen try this:
          sudo systemctl restart sddm
          It works, starts the GUI, like running startx, maybe a little slower start, but it still goes back to a blank screen on reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
            It works, starts the GUI, like running startx, maybe a little slower start, but it still goes back to a blank screen on reboot.
            See if ~/.Xauthority is still owned by you. If it isn't chown it to you:you. Or, delete it and reboot. Another copy will be created.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yep, I still own it, but thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

run
                Code:
                find ~/ -user root
                did it "find anything ?

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Yep, I still own it, but thanks for the suggestion.
                  Delete it anyway, and reboot. What do you have to lose?

Comment

/home/specialed/.wget-hsts
                    Attached Files

Comment

/home/specialed/.wget-hsts
                      harmless I have that one as well ?

it's a wget known hosts file ,,,,mine has github in it

VINNY
                      Last edited by vinnywright; Aug 31, 2017, 07:51 PM.
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Not related to your problem, but mine is:

Code:
                        [COLOR=#000000] vdir /home/jerry/.wget-hsts  [/COLOR]
                        -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry 347 Aug 23 11:29 /home/jerry/.wget-hsts

[COLOR=#000000] cat /home/jerry/.wget-hsts      [/COLOR]
                        # HSTS 1.0 Known Hosts database for GNU Wget.
                        # Edit at your own risk.
                        # <hostname>[:<port>]   <incl. subdomains>      <created>       <max-age>
                        raw.githubusercontent.com       0       0       1499484321      31536000
                        files.kde.org   0       0       1501862415      15768000
                        downloads.iridiumbrowser.de     0       1       1491957768      15768000
                        github.com      0       1       1499484321      31536000
                        www.youtube.com 0       0       1492652294      31536000

Comment

I still have to do the CTL>ALT>F2 and startx workaround (some might say, "no big deal," but it's anathema to anyone who likes an orderly, properly functioning system), but I did get MakeMKV working again. Apparently, if you look in the right places, they publish a new registration code monthly. Doh!

Comment

it sounds like something is messing with SDDM ,,,,,,,,

by the way k3b can do the riping of a DVD and their are plenty of other tools for that in your package manager ,,,,,heck you can even open it (the DVD) in dolphin and copy out the mane VOB (it's just a MPEG ) and do the converting in any one of the several transcoding/converting tools available in your package manager including handbrake .

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              it sounds like something is messing with SDDM ,,,,,,,,

by the way k3b can do the riping of a DVD and their are plenty of other tools for that in your package manager ,,,,,heck you can even open it (the DVD) in dolphin and copy out the mane VOB (it's just a MPEG ) and do the converting in any one of the several transcoding/converting tools available in your package manager including handbrake .

VINNY
                              MakeMKV is for handling the encryption. I use MakeMKV first then run it through Handbrake and usually just keep it as a file on one of many external HDDs but K3b usually comes up automagically when I need to burn a disk.

Comment

Working...
                              X