This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can not delete, rename or use the mv command on an errant file

About a week or so ago, something happened (I have no idea what at this point) and two files got corrupted. I ended up with a file called

Code:
    Peter.Gabriel.Secret.World.Live.2012.720p.mkv
    But when I clicked on it, in actuality it was a completely different video. I can not delete, rename, or use the mv command as it says “no such file or directory exists.” I can copy it and delete the copy. I created a file in another directory with the same name and was able to copy it to the original directory, therefore overwriting the original file. Now I have a 2B text file instead of a 500MB video file but I still can’t delete it. It's not a matter of permissions, I think it has to do with the actual name but there are no leading or following spaces, etc., that I can see. I am running KDE Neon User Edition and using Dolphin and the command line. The errant file is on a 2TB USB drive using NTFS.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

You did check the immutable bit?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Have you tried puting the file name in quotes (single or double)? And if that doesn't work, try replacing all the periods; except for the last one; with a ?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When ever I use youtube-dl or mps-youtube to download an mp4 video I get a half-dozen files created, a msg about "not being able to merge audio and mp4", or something like that, and then the result is an mkv file. Usually I can convert the mkv file to an mp4 file, but I got tired of that and installed a dl plugin in FireFox to dl videos and specifically select the 720p mp4 version to dl.

I never had a file lock up the you have but I'd wager that the problem was probably caused by using one of those two programs, or a defective FF plugin.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm not sure it's anything to do with the filename, per se:
          Code:
          $ touch Peter.Gabriel.Secret.World.Live.2012.720p.mkv
          $ rm Peter.Gabriel.Secret.World.Live.2012.720p.mkv
          works just fine.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            You did check the immutable bit?
            First I've heard of this and apparently, I'm not understanding the lsattr and chattr commands as I keep getting "invalid argument."

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Have you tried puting the file name in quotes (single or double)? And if that doesn't work, try replacing all the periods; except for the last one; with a ?
            I tried double quotes and several wildcards. I just tried single quotes and the ? (with and without quotes, single and double) to no avail.

Comment

Who owns the file?

Comment

I, regular user, do.

Code:
                -rwxrwxrwx 1 specialed specialed          2 Aug 26 18:28 Peter.Gabriel.Secret.World.Live.2012.720p.mkv

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                  >>>>>> I'm not understanding the lsattr and chattr commands as I keep getting "invalid argument."
                  Just realized those commands aren't applicable to NTFS, correct?

Comment

Are there other files on the NTFS formatted USB drive, or is this the only one?

Comment

Are there other files on the NTFS formatted USB drive, or is this the only one?
                      Oh yeah, about 850GBs.

Comment

Do you have access to a Windows PC that you can mount the USB drive to? Can the file be deleted from Windows?

Comment

Do you have access to a Windows PC that you can mount the USB drive to? Can the file be deleted from Windows?
                          Yes I had my son do that a little while ago and got an error code. I just gave it back to him to run error checking on the disk under Windows.

Comment

Running CHKDSK under Windows did the trick. I forget sometimes when dealing with USB drives that I'm not dealing with a Linux file system. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                            X