This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't expect THAT

Long story short, but I had to reinstall KDE neon Developer Edition (as a VirtualBox VM). Downloaded the latest .iso (neon-devedition-gitunstable-20170813-0806-amd64.iso). During installation, I opted to create a new partition table (I'm not using neon as my 'primary' OS). I did however, reuse the .vdi file.

Installation went fine. When it was done and rebooted, I was dropped to a text login. And, running startx afterwards failed; just a black screen I had to power off (from VirturalBox Manager) to quit.

I found that neither the plasma-desktop or sddm got installed; well, plasma-desktop for sure; sddm was indicated as either partially installed or broken.

Installed plasma-desktop and installed --reinstalled sddm. Everything worked after that.

Didn't expect THAT to have happened with the latest .iso!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

just a thought but what you experienced is what I have seen many times on many installs...

I don't know if they are really that concerned with "stuff external" to the OS...

They are more concerned with "what is in the container'...

And...if one thinks really DEEPLY about that...

Microsoft had a "container" for decades to "get all the internals right"...anything outside of that...even to the boot loader was farmed out to other people...

How MANY little statups did MS purchase and incorporate what they did?

So, to me this is not surprising...I get it every time that I restart Kubuntu when I have let it sit and just updated for a while without...physically turning off the computer...I get dropped to a command line to start Kubuntu...

woodkindastupidsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
    X