New kernel and the usual drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kernel and the usual drill

My wifi chip doesn't work with any of the repository drivers so I had to go to github and download a tool to compile the 88x2bu driver manually.
    After installing it, each time the kernel is updated my wifi stops working. So, this is what I do:

cd rtl88x2bu_linux/
    sudo make clean
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe -r 88x2bu
    sudo modprobe 88x2bu
    Within a few seconds after the last command is issued the wifi icon comes to life and I get my usually stable and fast connection.

This driver requires the dkms package be installed, but you only have to do that the first time you use this package. There are several 88x2bu github webpages with drivers. This is the one I used:
    https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 28, 2022, 01:02 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

dkms is supposed to do that stuff; if one gets into the dkms weeds one can make it work.

For the Intel driver I build on my desktop at some point somebody fixed the dkms set up and it now works automatically, even over release upgrades. This was only a few months after I'd finally got dkms set up properly, so my time and effort was wasted. I imagine your approach will use less time in the long run.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
    X