This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail no longer can access Gmail server

Folks, it appears that google as of May 30, 2022, no longer allows the third party insecure (to google) apps to access the google's client account. As a result kmail in my KDE Neon user edition 20.04 can not access my gmail server any more . Any body experiencing this? any solution?
    Thanks!

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
    google as of May 30, 2022, no longer allows the third party insecure (to google) apps to access the google's client account.
    If this is the case, then there is zero you can do about it. It has happened before, quite some years ago, due to an accidental oversight by a dev, and it took a LONG time before Google allowed it access again.
    I am not seeing reports on this in the usual places where I would expect to see the howling masses complaining about it. Then I remember that few actually use this, compared to years past.
    Are you seeing any messaging? if so, what is it exactly?

There are a couple of reports on Reddit of people having issues connecting to Gmail, within the past 2 days, and both have since been able to access their accounts just fine later on.

KDE Neon user edition 20.04
    Oh, yeah, you have posted in the KUBUNTU 22.04 section. Moving to the correct section......
    Last edited by claydoh; Jun 08, 2022, 05:36 PM.

Comment

This oldish, but… https://www.dvratil.cz/2019/08/konta...gration-issue/
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        I don't think that this long-fixed problem is going to be relevant, but maybe it might be a valid workaround in 2022.

HOWEVER..........
        I just installed Kmail, (and all its cruft ) and have absolutely zero issues adding and logging in to my gmail accounts.

So I think that there is something else going on, considering that Kontact, and particularly Kmail has historically been quite buggy quite often.
        Last edited by claydoh; Jun 08, 2022, 05:54 PM.

Comment

[CODEAre you seeing any messaging? if so, what is it exactly?][/CODE]

I get authentication message, as shown below. However, after re entry it keeps on repeating. I use web mail and logged on, there is where I found out that they are not allowing 3rd party application since May 30, 2022. I am using Kontact version 5.20.1 (22.04.1) which its kmail has been performing like a charm up to a few days ago.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Thanks! I had seen this before posting here. It did not help, as you said its oldish. This is happening since May 30, 2022.

Comment

Have you checked out the Google account app passwords? You may have to generate a new one for kmail.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                Have you checked out the Google account app passwords? You may have to generate a new one for kmail.
                I read about this. I went to my gmail and I could not find any option for creating an app password. i alway accessed me google account thru logging in my g mail account. I will try again to see if I can find some thing. Thanks!

Comment

there is where I found out that they are not allowing 3rd party application since May 30, 2022
                  Then how am I able to add multiple accounts with Kmail today?
                  any link to the content that says this?

This is happening since May 30, 2022.
                  yet you have mail from a couple of days ago

On the surface, the error message is simply saying that the username/password is incorrect, so checking out the app password as jlittle said is probably the first place to start

Comment

I went to my gmail and I could not find any option for creating an app password.
                    Gmail, click at the top right (it may be a personalized icon, I have my face), manage your Google account, Security, scroll to "Signing in to Google", App passwords.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Then how am I able to add multiple accounts with Kmail today?
                      any link to the content that says this?
                      If you go to your google account, account manager, scroll down to "less secured Apps" and click on it, then you will see the reference to May 30, 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post

Gmail, click at the top right (it may be a personalized icon, I have my face), manage your Google account, Security, scroll to "Signing in to Google", App passwords.
                        I did go there and changed my account password to no avail. I did not see any option allowing me to add a third party app though.

Comment

https://support.google.com/accounts/...ty%20customers.

To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022, ​​Google no longer supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.
                          You just have to set up app passwords or some 2fa

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

Comment

You could also give up on kmail and use another app like thunderbird. Kmail is not that great IMO anyway, esp if you are having to do all this work just to get it to play nice with gmail. Consider an alternative.

Comment

You should also check the authentication method in your kmail gmail account settings, in Settings→Configure KMail→Accounts→Receiving→[your Gmail account]→Modify, and in the Advanced tab select "GMAIL" in the Authentication combo box.

This should enable oauth authentication, since user/password authentication has been disabled by google, "GMAIL" should be the default on new gmail accounts in kmail, but it might not be for older accounts.
                              I don't use gmail (and no one really should ), so I can't really test, but worth checking.

Comment

Working...
                              X