This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Slideshow, who'd a thought?

For several weeks now I have had a problem with my system freezing, sometimes as long as 20 seconds when performing typical tasks such as surfing, file management, etc. I could not link it to any particular situation or recreate the freezes on demand.

I've also noticed my system running very hot, my cpus sometimes reaching 190F and staying in the 180s for a long time. These high temps had no rhyme or reason, often hotter when at idle than it was when I was transcoding video or burning disks. My SSD always stayed in the 90s. I also started going through phases where my screen flickered a lot, usually as i was scrolling but also when idle. I would come back to my laptop after being away for 30 minutes or more and the fan would be spinning, and the temps would be up.

More recently I encountered an even stranger phenomenon. I would click on a link and my browser would display that page, flicker, display the previous page than return to the page I had clicked on. This also happened in Dolphin.

I had a feeling all these problems were related and maybe the high temps were the root cause, but my problem solving skills just didn't seem to be up to the task.

I monitored my system temps and as I said above the high temperatures seemed almost random. I monitored the system with KSysguard and it always showed the top three drains on the cpu were, in the following order,

Plasmashell (usually 12%-20%)
    Xorg, around 4%
    Krunner around 1%-2%.

Monitoring didn't help much as the monitors froze during the freezes also.
    My fan is working fine(I vacuumed all the vents anyway). I was starting to think about things like thermal paste and thinking my system was on the verge of self destructing. (I also spent a lot of time window shopping at places like sysytem76 and reading laptop reviews.)

Well this afternoon for a completely unrelated reason, I decided to change my desktop configuration from "Slideshow" to "Image." Since then I have not experienced any flickers, any weird flashbacks, those three processes, while still using a bit of memory, barely register under cpu usage, and my temps haven't gone above 130F.

Curioius.
    Last edited by SpecialEd; Jul 11, 2017, 10:17 PM. Reason: Typos and clarity
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Bug 381000 - [Regression] High CPU when background is set to slideshow - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381000
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
      Bug 381000 - [Regression] High CPU when background is set to slideshow - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381000
      Interesting, thanks for the link Rog.
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
      X