X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get native IPv6 on Neon

Or, Kubuntu 16.04LTS, as well.

I had been using an SIXXS tunnel to get what http://ipv6-test.com calls a "native" IPv6 connection. SIXXS announced several months ago that they were shutting down in June so I began looking around for another tunnel. I tried Miredo for a while but that was unsatisfactory. ipv6-test rarely gave it more than a 12/20 rating, and it was slow. I decided to try Hurricane Electric's tunnel.

With it ipv6-test gave me a 20/20 connection. Here's how I set it up on my wired connection.

1) Give my wired connection a fixed local address. I used my wired's MAC address to always dispense 192.168.1.100 to it.

2) I created an account at Hurricane Electric and they created my tunnel.

3) When I got notice of my tunnel I logged onto Hurricane Electric and clicked on my tunnel link. That took me to a page which allowed me to select which OS I was running. I selected Debian/Ubuntu. I was presented with a list of commands to paste into /etc/network/interfaces. The list looked like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	he-ipv6-setup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	649212
    Code:
    [B]auto he-ipv6[/B]
    [B]iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel[/B]
    [B]        address 2001:a:b:c::2[/B]
    [B]        netmask 64[/B]
    [B]        endpoint 216.x.y.z[/B]
    [B]        local 192.168.1.100[/B]
    [B]        ttl 255[/B]
    [B]        gateway 2001:a:b:c::1[/B]
            dns-nameservers 2001:4860:4860::8888 2001:4860:4860::8844
    The dns-nameservers line I added to the file myself to get IPv6 DNS.
    "a.b.c" replaces parts of my actual IPv6 address and ".x.y.z" replace what Hurricane put as their endpoint. The "local" setting is where you put your local IP address, not the IP address your ISP vends to you.

4) Reboot.
    5) Test.

Note: this is for my wired connection. Because I am only 1 meter away from my router I use my wired connection. It is capable of 1Gbps while my wireless can do only about 54Mbps reliably. In a few weeks I am getting a 100Mbps connection and I want to use all of it so I am staying with the cable.

Now, my ipv6 test looks like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IPv6_test_results.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	649211
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 10, 2017, 06:26 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I can see the advantages of switching to IPv6 for a company. But I'm not clear on how doing so might benefit an individual household. Esp. at the expense of making another account and channeling IP traffic through another company / gateway. Are you intending to use the service as a type of VPN by channeling traffic through other geographic locations?
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
      I can see the advantages of switching to IPv6 for a company. But I'm not clear on how doing so might benefit an individual household. Esp. at the expense of making another account and channeling IP traffic through another company / gateway. Are you intending to use the service as a type of VPN by channeling traffic through other geographic locations?
      An IPv6 tunnel is not a security device in the sense of a VPN or TOR connection. It is merely a way of using IPv4 packets to carry IPv6 packets. Nothing more. I haven't "switched" to IPv6 because I am still running IPv4.

For folks whose ISP is not yet IPv6 ready, like Spectrum (TWC) OR Allo in our area, an IPv6 tunnel allows us to view websites that only connect to the Internet via IPv6, because not every Internet website is still using IPv4. The newer ones certainly are not because IPv4 addresses exhausted several years ago and are hard to come by if one can get any at all.

My experience is that adding the dns-nameservers line in the /etc/network/interfaces file increases the speed of the tunnel and makes it "native" in the sense that SiXXS was also native. That is, from the target website your connection is indistinguishable from a hardware IPv6 connection that you would have IF your IPS was IPv6 ready and their cable modem and your own router were DOCSISS 3.0.

My own hardware (my router, laptop, etc.) is NOT IPv6 ready, and I doubt that I will be buying newer hardware that is IPv6 ready before I shake too much to type and have to give up using a computer, so an IPv6 tunnel is not an option for me, it is a necessity if I want to connect to the sites that use IPv6 exclusively. Currently, 10.1% of all websites use IPv6, many of them exclusively, not that I am all that anxious to watch CNN. In America, about 25% do. If any of those websites shut off their IPv4 hardware you won't be able to see them if you do not have IPv6.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

http://ipv6.linuxhomepage.com/

https://blog.cloudflare.com/98-percent-ipv6/

https://networkengineering.stackexch...4-only-clients
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 10, 2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I get a 19/20 (no host name) on that test site ,,,,natively ,,,,,,no tunnel ,,,,with TWC/Spectrum

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X