This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maui

Since Maui is based on Neon, I put the thread here. Is anybody still using Maui? I've got it installed on a virtual machine, and after trying it out I wonder why they bothered developing this OS. Apart from different graphics, I see no real reason for Maui. It's supposed to be based on Neon, which is based on Ubuntu 16.04, so what we have is slightly different clone of Neon (user edition, I guess). I have a hybrid Neon developer edition based on Kubuntu 16.04 with the Linux 4.10.0-26 core, and frankly, Maui is behind the times as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't have the latest Plasma or the latest Frameworks or the latest Qt version or the latest Linux core, so what's the point? OK, there are different desktop backgrounds and larger print, but is that a reason to develop what is supposed to be a new OS which is really a slight variation of another? Unless I've missed something, Maui offers nothing really new. If it really wanted to make a difference it would drop the LTS aspect and turn into a rolling release with the latest KDE software as well as the latest Linux kernels.

That's what I've been doing with my hybrid and it is really up-to-date. If Maui wants to make a difference it should be more than Neon clone with a different desktop. This useless fragmentation of efforts can only confuse potential Linux customers.

If it really wanted to make a difference it would drop the LTS aspect and turn into a rolling release with the latest KDE software as well as the latest Linux kernels.
    well ,,,no.

if this was the case then Neon would only offer the /dev or /dev/stable release ,,,,,,,, the Neon-LTS is behind the times as per your assessment as well.

some users prefer to stay at one older stable ver. of applications frame works once they have every thing working and setup so their is less of a chance of say a QT update braking a app they use .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, Neon is behind times as well, which is why I upgraded the Linux kernel to 4.10.0-26. Maybe my solution was wrong, but my point was that after playing around with Maui off and on, and keeping it up to date, I really don't see the rationale behind creating it in the first place. Different wallpapers? Well, that's just cosmetic, isn't it. As for some users preferring older, more stable versions, I can understand that, as I stuck with 14.04 until 16.04 came out. Then I upgraded it (before I knew it was not recommended) and later on installed Neon dev stable--or at least added the repositories. Somehow I've been lucky enough to have very few problems--all of them solved in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
        and later on installed Neon dev stable--or at least added the repositories. Somehow I've been lucky enough to have very few problems--all of them solved in this forum.
        that is the same system I am running on right now ,,,,as in wile typing this .(their are 4 more on this box)

Kubuntu-16.04-with "deb http://archive.neon.kde.org/stable/ xenial main" added to /etc/apt/sources.list and the same kernel which came in by it's self

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It could simply be that someone has an itch that needed scratching, and there may be no interest in expansion or "market share"if you will.

Neon is all about Plasma, the base is not the important thing here, though being based on Ubuntu LTS, we can easily upgrade kernels etc via the Hardware Enablement Stack.
          This allows Neon to fulfill their purpose: to offer official Plasma releases (in the User and LTS variants) and also offer a platform for developers to work on un-released Plasma code (the -dev and -dev-unstable variants), all on a stable base.

Comment

For me, the balance of running Neon UE with a new mainline kernel and all the PPA's I could ever need work best for me. As far as Maui is concerned, keep in mind that it is a full-fledged proper distro, complete with media players, Steam (IIRC), office suite, Krita, KDEnlive, and it's own version of Firefox integration (Note that, because Neon uses Ubuntu's Firefox, Neon comes with Ubuntu's Firefox integration, not the KDE integration provided by Maui), Skype, and other apps. Neon comes with almost nothing pre-installed and does not even consider itself a proper distro.

Different strokes for different folks. If I weren't happy with Neon, I'd most certainly be running Maui.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
              Different strokes for different folks. If I weren't happy with Neon, I'd most certainly be running Maui.
              Instead of Kubuntu?

Comment

Ditto. My BW uses Maui and she is extremely happy with its stability. Neon, despite some early teething pains, has also turned into a model of stability. Maui's only fault, IMHO, is that it's a bit slow in keeping up with new KDE releases... but isn't that what Neon is for? And, Maui is due real soon now for an update (to 5.10.2).

All in all, they are both extremely good ubuntu-based "distributions". They simply cater to different markets. And, forgive me for saying this, both offer far better stability than I ever experienced from Kubuntu or Mint (at least on my systems)...

Which is something I simply cannot explain.
                Lenovo T460s

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                  Instead of Kubuntu?
                  Well one or the other
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by DrGeoffrey View Post
                    And, forgive me for saying this, both offer far better stability than I ever experienced from Kubuntu or Mint (at least on my systems)...

Which is something I simply cannot explain.
                    I think Kubuntu has done an awesome job since the reorganization and is fast approaching the best quality it's seen in years. I think by the time 18.04 LTS comes out with Plasma 5.11.x, it will actually be the finest Kubuntu release in ages. Perhaps even since the KDE 3.5 days. I really believe that.
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I think Kubuntu has done an awesome job since the reorganization and is fast approaching the best quality it's seen in years. I think by the time 18.04 LTS comes out with Plasma 5.11.x, it will actually be the finest Kubuntu release in ages. Perhaps even since the KDE 3.5 days. I really believe that.
                      I look forward to it.
                      Lenovo T460s

Comment

Well, I've decided to download the latest version of Maui (17.06) and try it out again on the virtual machine. I'm going to keep my current setup until May of next year, when I will decide whether to go back to Kubuntu, go with Neon, try a Neon over Kubuntu 18.04 hybrid (if possible), or something else. There are choices, and perhaps I was a bit harsh on Maui. After all, it worked fine. I guess part of the charm of Linux is that there are so many choices. I do plan to stick with KDE, though. as it looks quite attractive on my desktop and the programs, in general, work quite well. I also have a Lenovo Ideapad netbook (obsolete by today's standards) and generally run Peppermint or Linux Mint 17.03 on it on the few occasions I use it. But for day-to-day computing, I prefer the KDE desktops.

Comment

I'm using Maui. Did some updates to 17.06 which updated me to Plasma 5.10.2. No complaints. They don't roll out Neon updates like the Neon group but they do and the system is stable.

Comment

Working...
                          X