X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome applications in Neon ?

Hi,

At this moment I use some non KDE applications in Kubuntu.
    If I switch to Neon, can I still install typical gnome applications, or is Neon KDE only ?
    Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
    linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
    A good place to start:
    Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

yes you can. neon uses the full Ubuntu 16.04 repos

Comment

Gnome apps work for me! (Neon User Edition)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK, thx, I'll give it a try
        A good place to start:

Comment

There's a distinction between GTK apps, and Gnome. GTK apps work ok, and you may already be using some of them, such as firefox or gvim. Gnome is a DE, and if you're running KDE, well, it's not, thankfully, Gnome. So there are Gnome components that don't interact with KDE the way they would with Gnome, so don't really work. There are standards for some of the interface, like menu items, but there can be differences in interpretation. Some aspects of applying "themes" can be a struggle with KDE, though most people do not bother with any of that. (Coloured scroll bars, anyone?)

Now, the point to my post. When Gnome 3 first came out it did not like KDE, and some programmes, that had previously worked well, spat the dummy if run with KDE. For example, I'd used Gnome terminal for years because I like a 5 Hz cursor blink, and there was no easy setting in KDE for this*; Gnome terminal 3 fought with KDE about its window size, sometimes shrinking to a about 5 lines by 10 columns. The GTK and Gnome 3 developers had turned all Apple-ish and you were stupid and contemptible if you had your own opinions about how things should work. Many people and projects recoiled in disgust. (Canonical even decided to write their own DE, Unity, though I'm sure the Gnome attitude was only part of that decision.)

Now, about a decade later, maybe there's a softening in attitudes. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those Gnome components work better now. Maybe I'm succumbing to wishful thinking.

* With KDE 3 there was an undocumented Trolltech ini file setting, but with plasma 5 I have to use a pre-load hack.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Thx for the replies.

I don't care about the cosmetics (themes, colored scrollbars and stuff like that) as long as the software is functional.

My worries were more about the availability of this software in the Neon repo's, but if Neon uses the full Ubuntu repo's as claydoh says,
            I have nothing to worry about.
            I am talking about things like gweled, Pysol, gparted, I use them in Kubuntu, so I suppose I will be able to install them in Neon as well.
            A good place to start:

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              There's a distinction between GTK apps, and Gnome. GTK apps work ok, and you may already be using some of them, such as firefox or gvim. Gnome is a DE, and if you're running KDE, well, it's not, thankfully, Gnome. ....
              You are right. Gnome was built using the GTK+ API, as are the GTK apps, and I generally conflate the two. I should be more careful.

As far as GTK apps and NEON, I have had zero problems running any GTK app that I wanted to use. There are about 20 GTK+ and Qt/GTK+ libraries and tools on my system right now, and probably that many GTK applications as well.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I borked up my existing Kubuntu OS by doing a bit too many experiments with docker and other stuff.
                After that I could not connect the PC to a network anymore and did not find a way to repair this.
                So now I am a happy KDE Neon user.

I guess in the future I'll do my experimentation in virtualbox.
                A good place to start:

Comment

KDE Latte-Dock
                  https://store.kde.org/p/1169519

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
                    I borked up my existing Kubuntu OS by doing a bit too many experiments with docker and other stuff.
                    Dockers will do that, but not so much anymore. I borked systems royally while fiddling with dockers myself a few years ago.

Danum thanks for the linky for LatteDock. ... "art in coffee" lol

I have been wondering for years when someone would go to the trouble to make such for KDE, it installed nicely.

woodamgladthatKDEisheresmoke
                    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jul 30, 2017, 02:31 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                    X