This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KDE Neon Question

I have not been in this forum in a while, but I installed KDE Neon on my machine. Can I come to this forum for support?
    Last edited by pookito; Dec 28, 2017, 12:47 PM. Reason: Write solved to the title
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Of course. That's what this sub-forum is for.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Welcome!
      You chose the best Linux non-distro ever made! I'm running the User Edition. What are you running? And, by chance, did you use the Btrfs fs?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I dunno...the folks here were novices back in the thousands but...generally they try to point you right...it all depends on whether you are for or against tank grown knee caps.

woodsometimeslaughsatwhatwethoughtbackthensmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          I dunno...the folks here were novices back in the thousands but...generally they try to point you right...it all depends on whether you are for or against tank grown knee caps.

woodsometimeslaughsatwhatwethoughtbackthensmoke
          LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thank you, yes I am also using the user edition. Thanks for the welcome.

BTW, I think I am using BTRF, don't remember sing EXT4. It is also encrypted.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Of course. That's what this sub-forum is for.
              thanks bro, I have not seen you in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by pookito View Post
                Thank you, yes I am also using the user edition. Thanks for the welcome.

BTW, I think I am using BTRF, don't remember sing EXT4. It is also encrypted.
                In a Konsole issue:
                btrfs fi df /

On my box it gave:
                Data, single: total=197.00GiB, used=134.20GiB
                System, single: total=32.00MiB, used=48.00KiB
                Metadata, RAID1: total=4.00GiB, used=1.37GiB
                GlobalReserve, single: total=241.25MiB, used=0.00B

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  In a Konsole issue:
                  btrfs fi df /

On my box it gave:
                  I guess not, the code out that I got from my terminal is; ERROR: not a btrfs filesystem: /

Comment

I guess not, the code out that I got from my terminal is; ERROR: not a btrfs filesystem: /
                    You can convert an EXT4 to Btrfs if you want. Btrfs is too good not to use!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      You can convert an EXT4 to Btrfs if you want. Btrfs is too good not to use!

Sure, what are the benefits compared to ext4? And cons as well. If not I'll search it online.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sure, what are the benefits compared to ext4? And cons as well. If not I'll search it online.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
                        I haven't found any cons, yet. Some of the pros are:
                        1) Nearly instantaneous backup (snapshot).
                        2) 3 minutes to roll back to the last/favorite backup.
                        Those two alone are worth their weight in gold.

Example #1: the update says 400+ packages are waiting and you aren't sure you want to do the update? Take a snapshot. Do the update. Reboot and test. If things are OK then delete the snapshot and take a fresh snapshot. If not, rollback to the snapshot and 3 minutes later you are running as things were before the update. No need to do a reinstall, or worse yet, putz around for two or three days or more trying to recover/restore what you lost.

Example #2: You made some changes to a file or directory (edited it, overwrote it, or accidentally deleted it). Mount the snapshot it resides in (/ in @ or /home in @home) and navigate to the file. Copy it back to the location where it was. Umount @ and @home.

Special Note: Examples 1 & 2 were performed on the LIVE system. No need to shut down and access the system from a LiveUSB or such. That, too, is worth its weight in gold.

Other cases: You want to have more than one Linux distro installed. Btrfs is your tool. Consult posts by Oshunluver on this topic. He is the Btrfs master. He wrote a nifty little extension to Dolphin (no, as far as I know he is not a programmer) to do backups and recoveries. I used to use a tool called snapper but it was snapshot happy and I found that for my needs "sudo -i" and using the up arrow to recover previously used commands was sufficient.

I eventually ended up installing three 750Gb HDs in my Acer V3-771G laptop and after adding the second I switched the first from a single to a RAID1 using the two drives. After a while I took out my CDROM drive and replaced it with an HD Caddy and stuck in my third 750Gb HD. It is my backup storage device. I converted the two drives configured as RAID1 back to a singleton using both drives, doubling my usable disk space. The backups and third disk storage are enough redundancy for me. Note: I did not use compression or encryption. I've been using Btrfs for two years and without any problems. I've read where even RAID 5 & 6 are now usable on certain kernels. On Neon using stock kernels and what ever I've loaded from repositories or certain PPA's I've never had problems. I did a test a few months ago of various P2P technologies and while testing FreeNet I had over 600 peers connected to this laptop and each one had 200Mb webpages installed on my HD. I took a pic of the graph produced by EtherApe. It humbled my 100Mbps fiber optic connection and used almost all of my eight cores. This got slow. But Btrfs never broke a sweat.

Here's some Btrfs info, last updated on Dec 8th : https://wiki.debian.org/Btrfs
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 28, 2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X