This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] update/upgrade problems

I cannot update or upgrade my Neon (on top of Kubuntu 16.04) due to qa problem with Ark--the error message says Ark has umnet dependencies (libzip5) and suggests I use apt-get -f install to correct this. I did that, but the problem was not solved. I went to Synaptic which says the package is broken, so I clicked the fix broken packages button and got the following error message:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libzip5_1.2.0-0neon+16.04+xenial+build5_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libzip.so.5.0.0', which is also in package libzip4:amd64 1.2.0-0neon+16.04+xenial+build3

What is going on here? Should I re-install Ark?

For that package only (libzip5), use sudo apt-get install --force libzip5

The issue is duplication of libzip.so.5.0.0 in libzip5 and libzip4. Forcing the installation of the newer package (libzip5) will allow the installation of libzip5. Once that is done, rerun sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Or, if you don't want to force the installation of the package, uninstall/purge libzip4 first, then update/dist-upgrade.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"Neon (on top of Kubuntu 16.04)"
      Just curious, but that sounds redundant. So you didn't do a clean install of Neon?
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
        Just curious, but that sounds redundant. So you didn't do a clean install of Neon?
        No. I added the repositories to Kubuntu 16.04, did a few other steps (using advice from a forum member) and then updated everything. It seems to work well. Next time I'll do a clean install. There were instructions on how to do all this on the Neon forum as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          I was running Kubuntu 16.04 when Neon announced. IIRC, (pardon my 76 yr old brain) they gave a link to their repository and I added it to my sources.list and then installed the Neon DE that way. It didn't work out well for me -- too flaky, so I downloaded the first Neon User Edition and did a fresh install. Been using and upgrading it every since. That's how I remember it, but if it didn't happen that way it wouldn't be the first time my memory deceived me.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            For that package only (libzip5), use sudo apt-get install --force libzip5
            I got this error message when I tried it:

E: Command line option --force is not understood in combination with the other options

By the way, there's an autoremove command that I did not do the last time I successfully updated Neon. The package in question is libmircommon5. I tried to do this just now and this is what I got:

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
            libmircommon5
            Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
            The following additional packages will be installed:
            libzip5
            The following NEW packages will be installed:
            libzip5
            0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
            1 not fully installed or removed.
            Need to get 0 B/47,5 kB of archives.
            After this operation, 127 kB of additional disk space will be used.
            Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
            (Reading database ... 324072 files and directories currently installed.)
            Preparing to unpack .../libzip5_1.2.0-0neon+16.04+xenial+build5_amd64.deb ...
            Unpacking libzip5:amd64 (1.2.0-0neon+16.04+xenial+build5) ...
            dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libzip5_1.2.0-0neon+16.04+xenial+build5_amd64.deb (--unpack):
            trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libzip.so.5.0.0', which is also in package libzip4:amd64 1.2.0-0neon+16.04+xenial+build3
            Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu7) ...
            Errors were encountered while processing:
            /var/cache/apt/archives/libzip5_1.2.0-0neon+16.04+xenial+build5_amd64.deb
            E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comment

I was going to post that i have a broken package in today's update I have a broken package in Dev stable 5.10.2

libzip5_1.20-oneont+/6.04+xenial+build5_amd64.deb. which is tied to ... build3.

but you folks already did it.
              woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Which version of neon are you on? have you re-run apt update pkconf refresh before trying to update? I did spy some thing related to libzip somewhere online recently, but can't find it. If there was a packaging bug, it likely was updated later.

Also, iirc this is a possible issue stemming from adding Neon to Kubuntu, as 16.04 uses libzip4 and not libzip5 (which is not available in the Ubuntu archive). You should be safe to use dpkg to force it to overwrite the file, or possibly try uninstalling libzip4 (prob not a sane thing to try). Neon User on my Chromebook was added to Gallium OS, which is Ubuntu/Xubuntu 16.04 with XFCE and minimal additions outside of the custom kernel. I have not seen this prob on this or my straight Neon laptop.

To force the file to be over-written, use dpkg like so
                Code:
                sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libzip5_1.2.0-0neon+16.04+xenial+build5_amd64.deb
                You should be able to update your system with no errors now.

Comment

--force-yes Force yes; this is a dangerous option that will cause apt to
                  continue without prompting if it is doing something potentially
                  harmful. It should not be used except in very special situations.
                  Using force-yes can potentially destroy your system! Configuration
                  Item: APT::Get::force-yes. This is deprecated and replaced by
                  --allow-downgrades, --allow-remove-essential, --allow-change-held-packages in 1.1.
                  You can/should simulate what will happen, so: sudo apt-get install --force-yes --simulate libzip5
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm running straight Neon dev stable ...so I tried the force and it didn't work, I tried the purge and it didn't work so I went to synaptic and tried removal and it was going to remove ark and dolphin... so I think that I'll just wait this one out.

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

remove "ark" and the broken libzip5 package is gone and libzip4 is sitting there nicely.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks. I did that and tried the pk commands. Everything worked.

Comment

Now that I've eliminated ark to get the updates working, what do I use to decompress zip and tar.gz files?

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                            Now that I've eliminated ark to get the updates working, what do I use to decompress zip and tar.gz files?
                            My proposal, to force the overwriting of the duplicate file, would have solved this without the need to remove Ark. You will either need to install another (non-kde) unzipping tool such as Gnome's File Roller, use the commandline, or try reinstalling Ark - which will require a fix similar to the one I gave.

Comment

Apparently today's update solved the problem. I now have a functioning Ark and have been able to update 104 packages. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X