This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A BIG THANK YOU to all the Neon developers

I have been running Linux for 19 years. During that time I have used many distros and most of them were very good. I used SuSE for 5 years from 1998 to 2003. Between 2003 and 2009 I used a variety of distros. None of them were bad, most were very good. From 2009 to 2015, 6 years, I used Kubuntu, an excellent distro, and my all time best until ...

Since it was first released I have been using Neon User Edition with Btrfs as the fs on my 5 year old Acer V3-771G 17" laptop. Neon is the BEST "distro" I have ever used, bar none.

Thanks folks! Wonderful job! IF I ever win the Powerball you guys are getting $1M each!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I have been using Neon developer edition on top of Kubuntu 16.04 for the past year or so, and I too have been very happy with it (ext 4 not btrfs). I plan to make it my only OS next year, when the new LTS comes out, now that I don't need Windows to run Universe Sandbox anymore. However, I'm still not sure what makes Neon more than a Kubuntu rolling release. Obviously I'm missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
      I have been using Neon developer edition on top of Kubuntu 16.04 for the past year or so, and I too have been very happy with it (ext 4 not btrfs). I plan to make it my only OS next year, when the new LTS comes out, now that I don't need Windows to run Universe Sandbox anymore. However, I'm still not sure what makes Neon more than a Kubuntu rolling release. Obviously I'm missing something.
      I love Universe Sandbox^2 and it runs perfectly on my Neon setup. Since nvidia 378 I've been experiencing my GT 650M GPU as if it was the primary GPU.

Theoretically, Neon is not a distro. It is a KDE test bed for testing the best and latest in KDE software, as I understand it. Regardless, I'm planning on using Neon till they decided to stop developing it or I die. Ya just don't want to abandon perfection!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

tup except it must be said that Kubu gives one a complete package (esp. codecs, etc.) while Neon is very much a "roll your own" kind of thing.

And...the dev. edition does have a LOT of updates and often something that "should work" that is trivial, such as the left click on desktop, which can be done with the cashew, pop up every once in a while, but... again tup.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X