This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to Plasma 5.10.0

98 packages came down the pipe 30 minutes ago and updated my system nicely.

So far, so good.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I got 5.10 a day or so before I migrated back to Sid; I was still having issues with touchpad toggle keyboard shortcut not working unless you opened systemsettings5 to the touchpad page first. I didn't have to change any settings in systemsettings, just opening the thing to Input Devices --> Touchpad would make the keyboard touchpad toggle work like magic.

I've piled onto a couple of bug reports for this - so far no joy even with 5.10; even the turn on/turn off/leave unchanged options didn't work. I use an external mouse and would prefer not to shut the touchpad off in BIOS.

Other than that and some panel artifacts (I use an autohide panel that disappears but doesn't look like it disappeared) it was a good upgrade. I'm sure this nickel and dime stuff will be fixed soon
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

5.10 has been awesome in Artful 17.10 so far.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
        I got 5.10 a day or so before I migrated back to Sid; I was still having issues with touchpad toggle keyboard shortcut not working unless you opened systemsettings5 to the touchpad page first. I didn't have to change any settings in systemsettings, just opening the thing to Input Devices --> Touchpad would make the keyboard touchpad toggle work like magic.

I've piled onto a couple of bug reports for this - so far no joy even with 5.10; even the turn on/turn off/leave unchanged options didn't work. I use an external mouse and would prefer not to shut the touchpad off in BIOS.

Other than that and some panel artifacts (I use an autohide panel that disappears but doesn't look like it disappeared) it was a good upgrade. I'm sure this nickel and dime stuff will be fixed soon
        Your touchpad problem must be related to your specific hardware because it works perfectly on mine without having to do what you did.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Your touchpad problem must be related to your specific hardware because it works perfectly on mine without having to do what you did.
          I'm pretty sure it's hardware-specific; Laptop is a Dell Precision M4800 using the Precision M-series keymap. What's weird is that opening the touchpad's properties page makes the thing work
          -- anais nin

Comment

mmm.... IIRC using kcmsystemsetting5 (or something like that) would allow you to make CPU settings of properties. Perhaps you could open the properties page in the background using & and close the konsole, leaving the app running as a process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              mmm... IIRC using kcmsystemsetting5 (or something like that) would allow you to make CPU settings of properties. Perhaps you could open the properties page in the background using & and close the konsole, leaving the app running as a process?
              The interesting thing is it doesn't have to *stay* running, all I have to do is open the touchpad properties page and about three seconds later the default hotkeys (Fn-F5) will work. It's mighty strange as I don't have to click anything in there, just open the properties page itself. I had accidentaIly opened the bug against ktouchpadneabler which is a KDE4 package, so I asked the KDE dev team for help locating the proper place for the bug and it's set against plasmashell,

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=380004

Weird.
              -- anais nin

Comment

mine did not go so well ,,,,,,,,, on the Kubuntu-16.04 with the Neon /dev/stable added to sources.list ,,,,,,,,,I got a black screen on reboot with just a Yakuake window(drop down) and conky (both were in autostart)

trying to start plasmashell would quit with "destroyed process wile nvidia-smi is running" ,,,,,,,,tried updating to the new driver , 381.22 that did not work .

made a new acct. and logged in as the new user and the desktop loaded fine ,,,so must be something in my home acct.

logged in to a TTY and moved .config to .config.old ,,,,,,,yes yes I know ,drastic, but it worked .

<sigh>------now to redo almost all my customizations >----------------------- spring house cleaning anyone.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ah, the vicissitudes of life.

Comment

Working...
                  X