Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmm... My Neon User Edition setup had a system tray alert this morning about 173 downloads waiting. (The exact number will vary with what you have installed). My last large update was on the 8th, 4 days ago. I opened a Konsole and did the usual. About 60Mb of download took a couple seconds on my 70Mbps connection. The install took about 15 minutes.

A couple days ago Allo of Lincoln marked up my yard for a fiber optic install. I can opt for the 100Mbps for $65 (I'm paying Spectrum $65 for 65Mbps (which tests out at 70), or for $90/mo I can get Allo's 1Gbps service. Decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 12, 2017, 12:33 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

well, from that info, I'd say that an install on a generously sized 64 Gig usb has maybe ...what... a twenty percent slower capability to actually install the update..

The cable is 1gigabyte per sec but I'm in the centre of the continent... so dunno... 15 minutes versus a few seconds on 70 mbps hmmm

wooddoesn'tknowsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        well, from that info, I'd say that an install on a generously sized 64 Gig usb has maybe ...what... a twenty percent slower capability to actually install the update..

The cable is 1gigabyte per sec but I'm in the centre of the continent... so dunno... 15 minutes versus a few seconds on 70 mbps hmmm

wooddoesn'tknowsmoke
        Ya, regardless of our bandwidth, in many cases we can download no faster than the Internet server will allow. That's the big drawback about bandwidths larger than what many servers offer. 100+Mbps works great for streaming movies, but that is something that my wife and I rarely do.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X