This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

digikam goes poof

I don't know if this is the correct spot for this post, but since I'm running Neon developer edition on top of Kubuntu 16.04, I can't think of any other place to put it. The problem is that if I don't use Digikam in awhile (say, six months) it seems to uninstall itself. I used the program last November to work on a new set of pictures I had taken ( and I had to re-install it at that time) and hadn't used it until a couple of days ago, when I discovered it was no longer installed. I have done nothing to uninstall it--it just disappeared from my list of installed programs. I re-installed it and it works fine, but I'm curious as to why I had to re-install it in the first place. Any suggestions?

If you are running Muon or Synaptic (Don't know about Discover) you can open the History window and search for Digikam. It will show you the dates it was installed and removed. I suspect that it was removed when a similar app was installed?

I went to https://www.digikam.org/download/ to check it out. Digikam has released their latest 5.5.0 Linux version as an AppImage! The repository for Neon contains 4.5.0.

I installed it and pointed it to my ~/Pictures folder, where I have several thousand pics. One better have lots of RAM (SQLite is used) and a fast GPU if you have lots of pics. So far it appears to be running beautifully.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 28, 2017, 01:52 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The history window didn't help--it just showed the last time I installed Digikam. The version I downloaded is 5.6, which I got from using Synaptic. It works fine, just as it always has. But I'm curious as to why it uninstalled itself (if that's what it did).

Comment

Most likely that removing digikam was a solution for upgrading something else.

For example it depends on libmarblewidgets of a particular lib version when built against it, so any bump of the lib version on that would break and quite likely ask for digikam to be uninstalled. Once digikam is rebuilt against the new lib, they would be co installable again.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          Most likely that removing digikam was a solution for upgrading something else.

For example it depends on libmarblewidgets of a particular lib version when built against it, so any bump of the lib version on that would break and quite likely ask for digikam to be uninstalled. Once digikam is rebuilt against the new lib, they would be co installable again.
          Does that mean that some other program uninstalled itself as well?

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
            Does that mean that some other program uninstalled itself as well?
            If due to that, probably not.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
            X