This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting KDE Neon on my son's 9 year old System76 Gazelle

My son was running Kubuntu 18.04 on his 9-year-old System76 gazp9 laptop and decided he wanted to upgrade. His primary complaint was that it was taking "forever" to boot up, i.e., about 90 seconds and longer, and that it "ran slow".

One of the problems was that the main drive was a 1 Tb spinner and he wanted me to replace it with an SSD, since I told him my boot times are consistently under 10 seconds. Being a busy guy he asked me if I would do it. Having decided I was getting too old to do version upgrades I recently moved to KDE Neon and their "rolling release". He agreed to let me put Neon on his system and to swap out the main drive. I selected the Samsung 860 EVO 500 Gb SSD in the 2.5" SATA form. The gazp9 was a snap to service. I had to remove only 2 screws to gain access to the main guts of the mobo and do a drive swap. The 1 Tb drive was put into a SATA drive caddy. While the back was off I replaced the 4Gb memory chip with an 8 Gb memory chip, giving his laptop 16 Gb of memory. While the cover was off I noticed that he had an empty slot for a mSATA SSD drive. It is on order. I also noticed that it had a CR2032 CMOS battery in a clip. It is on order as well.

With the main drive now being the Samsung 860 EVO, the time to a working desktop is now 5.3 seconds. Applications just snap to the screen. It is like running a brand-new machine.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I like hearing stories like this. Amazing how with a little effort these older systems can still be humming along. Why I dislike M$; oops, we don't support your processor, you need to buy and new PC and while your at it, why not a Surface!

Comment

Congrats on the fine job. It's always great to hear of Machines being updated and used instead of junked like so many are today.
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

My ThinkPad Edge 14 0578CTO Core i5 460M (2011 model) came with Windows 7 but that was replaced by Linux almost straight away. It's currently running Kubuntu 20.04 LTS and it flies. I also upgraded the RAM to 8Gb and replaced the spinner with a 500Gb Crucial SSD. I'm not throwing it away until it dies. The battery died years ago though...
        Last edited by Beerislife; Feb 16, 2022, 07:29 PM.
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I found that the gapz9 had a slot for an mSATA card so my son ordered a 1 Tb Kingston mSATA for it. It comes later this week or early next.
          His old main drive 1 Tb spinner is now setting in one of the best external USB HDD caddy's I've ever seen.
          When that mSATA is installed his update will be complete.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X