This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed a bug about Discover 5.23.0 taking a long time fetching updates

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=443809 based on https://www.reddit.com/r/kdeneon/com..._after_update/

The bug was marked as a duplicate of https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=443555.
    Last edited by chimak111; Oct 30, 2021, 10:03 PM. Reason: Removed [SOLVED tag]
    Kubuntu 20.04

As Discover updates Flatpak/Snap on top of normal apt repos, as well as KDE Store stuff, and hardware firmware updates too. Any one of these providers with a slow point will make Discover slow to update.
    My first possible suspect is the KDE Store, being that it has been very flaky and slow af in recent months - . Second is actually KDE Neon's repo, which does not have a massive mirror system like Ubuntu does.

fwiw, I have no issues at the moment speed wise, with a slightly long refresh time the first time I used it after the upgrade on my PC. Quite a few theming bits I had installed from the store had updates.
    My laptop saw zero issues in this area.

Comment

Fair enough! I guess servers were seeing more activity than normal given the new releases all around. And I do remember complaints about Get New Stuff connectivity. At this moment, Discover's updates are snappy.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Not discounting the bug, especially as it is not obvious where or how to check some of the places for the slowdown. Still could well be an actual bug to be sure.

Comment

claydoh, as you pointed out in post #2, Discover draws on multiple sources for updating and so a comparison to terminal routes isn't appropriate.

I didn't have issues while testing Plasma 5.22.90 in Kubuntu 21.04 (KDE neon with Plasma 5.22.5) and so the delay came as a surprise.

Anyway, today at ~ 01.30 UTC, the delay was back.

The updates were for the vim ppa. So, rather than go the restart way, I closed Discover and ran pkcon refresh and pkcon update.

For the future, I'll first run the pkcon commands and, if there are updates, I'll open Discover.

EDIT: re. today's update, there were two delays: the first to get the updates available message in the lower left corner and the second to complete "fetching updates" in the RHS panel. The second delay is difficult to understand.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211017070717.png Views:	0 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	657301

Last edited by chimak111; Oct 16, 2021, 08:14 PM.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Update: the bug has been marked as a duplicate of this. In that bug, the flatpak backend is the villain. Good idea to launch Discover from konsole!

I'll disable the flatpak option because that seems possible from Discover's settings and try again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211017092209.png Views:	0 Size:	246.8 KB ID:	657303

Incidentally, there's a mention of fwupd in konsole's output:

Code:
            chimak@neon:~$ plasma-discover
            kf.kirigami: Units.devicePixelRatio is deprecated (since 5.86 ): This returns 1 when using Qt HiDPI scaling.
            adding empty sources model QStandardItemModel(0x562f14a7a590)
            org.kde.plasma.libdiscover: Couldn't find a category for  "fwupd-backend"
            file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/PrivateActionToolButton.qml:74:5: QML Binding: Binding loop detected for property "value"
            Last edited by chimak111; Oct 16, 2021, 10:07 PM.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

After the previous update of my Neon 5.22.3 system I noticed some slugginess. Slowness in GUI's displaying, etc.
              Yesterday's update, 335 packages, came down the pipe and now I can't believe how much faster the system is. My systemd-analyse boot time is 4.80 seconds.
              GUI's snap to the desktop almost instantly. Everything is faster. Love it!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, Discover takes up to ~5 minutes to fetch updates due to flatpak backend has finally been confirmed.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I wonder why not everyone is seeing this? I can't reproduce it myself, and the only times Discover has been dog slow recently has been from fetching KDE Store stuff.

Also, notice that using that trash icon is just removing that particular flatpak repo - it doesn't actually disable flatpak backend from running, but does of course keeps it from checking.
                  Has anyone tried updating flatpak specifically, from the commandline, and seen if it might actually be something like a very slow connection on that server, or an address in its pool, or other server issues

Comment

claydoh, please see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=444556. There, the OP ran some diagnostic steps suggested by a dev and maybe you'll make more sense of the results than I!

Yes, it's puzzling that most users don't see it at all whereas those of us who do, see the issue consistently.
                    Last edited by chimak111; Oct 30, 2021, 09:52 PM. Reason: Added a comma to improve readability :D
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                      claydoh, please see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=444556. There, the OP ran some diagnostic steps suggested by a dev and maybe you'll make more sense of the results than I!

Yes, it's puzzling that most users don't see it at all whereas those of us who do see the issue consistently.
                      This why I am thinking it may be a specific mirror that the core url for the flagtpak repo is sending people to, as I am sure there is a pool of them. It probably is a combination of things, for sure.
                      Last edited by claydoh; Oct 30, 2021, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Yes, I have been experiencing this problem for a while now. The Discover stalls at "fetching the updates" with progress bar almost to the end of the bar. I have been using command line to complete the updates ever since.

BTW, the title to this topic says it is solved. I could not get what the solution is. Please clarify! Thanks!
                        Last edited by marco07; Oct 30, 2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
                          Yes, I have been experiencing this problem for a while now. The Discover stalls at "fetching the updates" with progress bar almost to the end of the bar. I have been using command line to complete the updates ever since.

BTW, the title to this topic says it is solved. I could not get what the solution is. Please clarify! Thanks!
                          Same problem here. Discover hangs on some Nvidia updates and freedom desktop.org or something like that.

I use a script in Konsole for most updates:

#!/bin/bash
                          # Does the same thing as update manager
                          # Updated 2021-04-09 @ 13:02:37 MDT by rob@sigma-changed apt-get to apt, changed upgrade to full-upgrade
                          sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by blue_bullet View Post
                            Same problem here. Discover hangs on some Nvidia updates and freedom desktop.org or something like that.

I use a script in Konsole for most updates:

#!/bin/bash
                            # Updated 2021-04-09 @ 13:02:37 MDT by rob@sigma-changed apt-get to apt, changed upgrade to full-upgrade
                            sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade
                            You can shorten that script, and remove the redundant sudo apt dist-upgrade, since it is quite literally just repeating the exact same process that apt full-upgrade does.

Also note that this does not update any Snap or flatpak applications one may have installed.

Last edited by claydoh; Oct 30, 2021, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

You can shorten that script, and remove the redundant sudo apt dist-upgrade, since it is quite literally just repeating the exact same process that apt full-upgrade does.

Also note that this does not update any Snap or flatpak applications one may have installed.
                              I did not know that. Thanks for the tip, Claydoh. I will change my script:

#!/bin/bash
                              #sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade
                              # Updated 2021-10-30 @ 14:51:01 MDT by rob@sigma-removed apt dist-upgrade as it is redundant with apt full-upgrade.
                              sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Last edited by blue_bullet; Oct 30, 2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X