This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update error

During update this evening the attempt to update arial32.exe gave an HTML 404 error.

The last update did the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Is arial.exe a Windows executable? If so, why is KDE Neon trying to update it? Whu is it in the system?
    systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

arial32.exe is the self-extracting (windows) archive of the arial font that the "ttf-mscorefonts-installer"-package is trying to download. The fonts can't be redistributed within the package (probably) due to licensing issues, so the package runs a script to download the fonts from a (sourceforge) server).

404 error means the file(s) can't be found on the server. So it's likely that the files have changed location or there is a problem with the server.

EDIT: Likely related bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1607535
      (comments include workarounds, like using the debian version of the package or manually downloading the fonts)
      Last edited by kubicle; Jan 12, 2017, 03:35 AM.

Comment

WEll rather you than me. I would never install ttf-mscorefonts on my Linux box. If the reason why you install these typefaces is to view documents created by Word/Excel then I simply alter the typerface to one that I have already installed (that is GPL friendly). If I create a document that I want to pass to others (who use Windows) I'll create a PDF and shre that instead. I would never install any MS softwware / packages on a Linux system.
        systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
        Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

That's what the 404 error message implied, along with the "can't change priviledges" part of the message. So kubicle, but I posted this here anyway because 1) I didn't remember my password to the kde.bugzilla, 2) I'm getting lazy in my old age, and 3) an FYI for any others who encounter it. I never missed it so I don't need it.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There are also metrically compatible font packages available ("fonts-liberation" and/or "fonts-croscore") for the most commonly used ms fonts (arial, courier new and times new roman).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_fonts
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croscore_fonts

Comment

Since I don't need to use word processors very much any more, I just purged the installer. I liked the Trebuchet font, but since I don't use it, why bother?

Comment

I un-installed "ttf-mscorfonts", because of getting tired of the pop-up "update manager for extra software available" and getting the 404 error message.

Comment

Working...
                X