This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neon really can just go sideways

An example being that, after about a bajillion updates yesterday morning.....the sound control just disappeared.

After somewhat less than a bajillion updates today it was back.

lol

woodsmoe
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Mine has been so drama free and uneventful that I keep checking to see if I am actually up to date. But I don't mess with no silly dev editions
    hell, even bumblebee works as expected (tho that is not due to anything related to neon at all)

Comment

thank you!
      I had never heard of Bumblebee, interesting!

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

@claydoh:

OK, so this pseudo-new machine I fixed is dual card. Intel onboard with a nice nVidia. I can't use the nVidia over the Intel. BIOS has no overide. It uses that Optimus technology to do that automatically. At least in Windows. Does Bumblebee do that? I installed it be have no clue if it is or isn't or if I'm to do something.

Clues? Help?

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          An example being that, after about a bajillion updates yesterday morning.....the sound control just disappeared.

After somewhat less than a bajillion updates today it was back.
          It will do, as sorta the point. :P

Harold, Jonathan et el are good at sorting it though.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

With the nividia drivers, if you install the package nvidia-prime, one can switch between the two with a toggle in the nvidia-settings app (and logging off and back in)
            bumblebee allows you to run specific applications with the Nvidia chip while using the Intel for everything else, for battery and heat savings.

Assuming you are on Neon/16.04:
            http://www.webupd8.org/2016/08/how-t...bumblebee.html
            I followed this exactly, but since there was an Nvidia driver update just this past week, the directions will be slightly different. Add the ppa as suggested in the how-to, but follow the directions for Nvidia-361 and substitute nvidia-367 . if you are using Nvidia-370, of course follow those directions exactly.

There is even a bumlebee indicator plasma widget you can install that runs in your systray

My semi-old laptop is a Dell e6420 with an NVS 4200M chip, nothing special but I can do some games, even Bioshock Infinite (not at full tilt settings, though)
            Last edited by claydoh; Nov 06, 2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                ... bumblebee allows you to run specific applications with the Nvidia chip while using the Intel for everything else, for battery and heat savings. ...
                When I first got this Acer V3-771G (Intel HD4000 primary, NVidia 650M secondary) four years ago I used Bumblebee and optirun. The GPU got into the 80-90s (but never crossed 100C).

I was concerned about hight temps with this Neon OS and nvidia-prime defaulting to NVidia. But, as it has turned out, my idle temps have been 30C +-3. Right now, using just FireFox, the temp is idling at 31-32C. With an empty desktop it can idle at below 27, even as low as 24. 8) Running Minecraft 1.10.2 fullscreen with shaders MC will give me 30-40 fps and the GPU temp never goes above 75C. Without shaders MC gives me 170-200 fps Not bad for a GPU with a max C of 105. The NVidia 370 driver really runs the GPU very efficiently, and the NVidia Configuration Center is a neat app!
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 08, 2016, 05:43 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

acheron you are a good man.

woodjustadoofsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    acheron you are a good man.

woodjustadoofsmoke
                    Not quite sure what that is for, but I'll take it.
                    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
                    X