This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pseudo-new system

Well, to start, at work I had this great little laptop from MSI. GE70. Something on the MB died. Could never get it running again.

So, I had the fortune that I could take it home and work on it. After buying other used bits here and there, I was able to finally get it running.

Joy, Joy. A pseudo-new system for me. Installing Maui updates now while typing this here and not a slow down at all. I guess my desktop will become my storage for Movies, Music and Photos. Also It'll serve as my Minecraft server. I'll be on this system now that I have Linux on it.

What did you have to replace?

BTW, four years ago I bought a good gaming system to have fun playing Minecraft. Two years ago my 13 year old grandson said the laptop I gave him at the time I bought the good laptop was too slow to play games.. It was. I swapped with him and for the last two years I have been running the Acer I bought in 2010. My wife and I took him and our daughter out to dinner to celebrate his getting his learner's permit and I asked him how the laptop was working. "I donnoknow", he replied, "I haven't used it in months". Apparently he was using the Win7 side to play games and it got infested. I asked for it back, since he wasn't using it, and gave the entire HD to KDE Neon, installed nvidia-prime and nvidia-370.28 and suddenly my secondary GPU behaves like the primary and is as fast as the 650M is supposed to be! Minecraft runs like I've never played it before. On my old laptop, even with Optifine and significantly reducing particle counts and other graphic variables, the newer skeletons could move around me faster than my display would move, so I could never fight them with a sword or axe. Now I dance jigs around them, pigs can't get away because I can whack them twice before they move, and when I hear the hiss of a creeper I can back out of range and not suffer damage from the explosion. Fun game! My 10 yr old grandson and I play it all the time on my server.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

MB, Keyboad were the main items. I replaced the battery too as there was something wiered going on with it. It may be what lead to the system's original demise. I can say taking apart that MSI was not the easiest thing. I have some scratches on it now, but hey, for some reason it started working. I won't look the gift-horse in the mouth.

modle: MSI GE70-0ND

Comment

Working...
      X