This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hybrid neon

A number of people on this forum--myself included (dev edition)--have added neon repositories on top of Kubuntu 16.04. After a few weeks of this, and reading other comments on this forum--particularly GreyGeek, whose hybrid apparently failed--I'm wondering how others who use this hybrid have fared. In my case, I have had no problems whatsoever, except for occasional problems with Discover up to about a week ago, and I wonder if others have had the same good luck. I have been tempted to be conservative and re-install Kubuntu 16.04 without the neon repositories, but so far I have resisted the urge since nothing seems to be going wrong. In other words, if it ain't broke, why fix it? The trouble is, I keep reading that this kind of hybrid is not supported or recommended by Neon, and so I'm wondering if anyone else who uses this system has had any trouble with it, and if so, how serious. I do the updates and upgrades every day, and like to think that this has made my system more stable. Nonetheless, I have my usb drive with Kubuntu 16.04 on it just in case, and would like some comments by other users so that I can decide to keep using this hybrid or go back to Kubuntu w/o the neon repositories, like GreyGeek has done. Although I'm not particularly excited by the idea of doing a clean install and re-configuring Kubuntu, I will do so if someone has found a potentially fatal flaw in the Kubuntu-Neon system. Any comments?

If your hybrid system is working for you, leave it as is. Consider changing if/when it stops working for you. That's my .
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I agree with Snowhog. The performance of an installation has many variables, including the hardware, the installed software, attached peripherals and more. IF my hybrid had continued working like yours I would have kept it.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Truly, I can say Maui (NetRunner 18) is such a Hybrid. So far I've been pleased.

Comment

I am running the same ,,,,for lack of better words ,,,, hybrid system as you . IE: neon/dev/stable repo on Kubuntu 16.04

I like it ,,,,,,,no deal beakers @hear ,,,,, some miner niggles ,,,,like having to restart plasmashell sometimes when attaching a second screen (the VIZIO TV) ,,,,but haven't tested that in a bit ,,,,and their has been some kscreen updates recently ,,,,Hummm maybe tomorrow .

all in all I have no serious complaints ,,,,,,,but I have 5 OS's on this box so if Neon brakes theirs Ubuntu & Kubuntu 14.04 ,,,and Debian8-KDE and a Netrunner something or other ,,,,,,,

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully it'll last me until the next LTS (18.04).

Comment

I started with the hybrid approach as when I looked at the Neon iso, it did not have many applications included and I therefore doubted that it would do what I wanted. I have been having a few problems with my installation, in particular Kontact not working and kdenlive misbehaving.

As my wife is using her iPad more that her desktop, I decided to try using Kubuntu 16.04 on her system which still had Kubuntu 12.04 on it. When I installed 16.04, I had problems with duplicate entries in sources.list as well as kontact requiring all sorts of setup. Because of this, I thought it would be faster to install neon rather than try to fix these problems. I installed neon-devedition-gitstable-20161005-1047-amd64.iso and I successfully installed all the packages that I needed. This time kontact worked and the only thing that I needed to do, out of the box, was to download and install Skype.

After this encouraging experience with neon, I then decided to install it on my Laptop. This went equally well and all packages were installed. In fact, I was able to successfully do video editing with it and was able to post the end product on YouTube in good time. I took some time to get Kontact working and all aspects are working except Popup Notes.

Comment

Have you noticed that (on the same machine) Neon (or 16.04) is about twice as fast as 14.04?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I got the impression that it was faster, but by how much I cannot say. Unfortunately I do not frequent my Wife's Laptop very often and am on a faster Laptop for the majority of my time.

Comment

I also followed the hybrid path, but now I'm going even further: As 16.10 is out, I'm changing the xenial for yakkety repositories...
                    Mainly because of some applications who got stuck behind (such as octave) and the are no other repositories to use. The only choice to upgrade is going to 16.10 or build from source
                    Anyone else is doing it?

Comment

Not me. Yakkety has only 9 months left till its End Of Life. Xenial has 31 months left.
                      I've decided to stay with Xenial until the Alpha of 2019.04 comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        Not me. Yakkety has only 9 months left till its End Of Life. Xenial has 31 months left.
                        I've decided to stay with Xenial until the Alpha of 2019.04 comes out.
                        Yakkety is old news.

Zesty Zapus is the way forward.
                        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                          Yakkety is old news.

Zesty Zapus is the way forward.

It's not an LTS!
                          I only jump from LTS to LTS, preferably a 5year LTS, but I'll take a 3 year one.

Comment

I like to try new distributions and I have one slow desktop with 16.10 installed. This one still has a few minor rough edges because it is largely based on Wayland.

For example, I have a HP printer, but the HP icon is not on the default panel for quick access. The printer can be configured and works.

I also find that after using the desktop for say over 1 hour, I notice that the windows tend to shimmer when being moved. In a related issue, I found that when using Gwenview to advance through images and movies, there were occasions when a new image was overlayed on the previous image.

I have not tried to install octave on this or any other of my computers, so I am not in a position to say if your change will solve your problem with octave.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              It's not an LTS!
                              I only jump from LTS to LTS, preferably a 5year LTS, but I'll take a 3 year one.
                              The devel release is one BIG LTS. It's gets updates all the time. :P
                              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
                              X