This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

software & updates

Yesterday I tried to open the Software & Updates program from the dashboard. I got a request for a password, which I duly provided. After that, nothing happened. Likewise, when I press the settings button on the graphical software updater the program crashes. Normally I use the Konsole to update my software and it works fine. However, it's odd that the other two programs don't work properly. Is it because I've installed Neon repositories on top of Kubuntu 16.04?

Probably. I installed Neon over 16.04 and for a while it worked great, but then I began having problems. In the case of programs not running I edited the KMenu entries and put "dbus-run-session " in front of the command in the command line and saved the item.

Eventually I reinstalled 16.04 and never added Neon. I miss some of Neon's features but for me Neon did not have enough apps in their repository. From what those who run Neon only have written, it is running pretty good for them. I can say the same for my installation of 16.04. Fastest and best Linux I've ever run (even with a couple slight peves).
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I'm still running Neon on top of Kubuntu without any of the problems you had--but then again, I haven't tinkered with the setup at all. I have Kubuntu 16.04.1 on a USB thumbdrive just in case. The problem that started this thread isn't one that affects my day-to-day running of the hybrid OS, and I rather like getting all the latest updates. By the way, the little icon that indicated that updates and upgrades were being done no longer appears, but since I do all these on Konsole it's not necessary. A question: is it still necessary to type 'apt-get update' or is 'apt update' enough? Another site I consulted on another problem also used 'sudo apt upgrade' instead of sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'. Are they the same?

Comment

apt-get vs apt -- see http://askubuntu.com/questions/44538...pt-and-apt-get
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What Snowhog wrote.
          I'm just an old dog that takes a long time to learn new tricks. One day I may be using apt, but habit takes over and my fingers automatically type apt-get .... Never miss the progress bars I never had.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I use apt for simple installs and removes and apt-get for everything else. Sadly, the two are not interchangeable.
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
              A question: is it still necessary to type 'apt-get update' or is 'apt update' enough? Another site I consulted on another problem also used 'sudo apt upgrade' instead of sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'. Are they the same?
              it gose more like this ,,,,for what you asked .

apt-get update = apt update

apt-get upgrade = apt upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade = apt full-upgrade

see man apt.

VINNY

EDIT : also check out "apt search" and "apt show"
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I've been running Neon for awhile now and like it pretty much, most of what I use has been available except for the Eric editor. As for the software update tools, I tend to prefer the apt-get set of tools.

Comment

Working...
                X