This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Dolphin lost CD link when ticked "open in new tab"

Well, this one has me completely stumped.

I was trying out different things about "playing media" in KDE Neon and finally got around to "playing a MUSIC cd" and was trying different media players when I noticed, hadn't noticed it before, an option on the "cd symbol" in the left panel of Dolphin for "open in new tab".

So, being inquisitive, I ticked the option and....the icon for the cd in the left panel of Dolphin disappeared! :0

And, there was no new "tab" for the cd, no new tab at all.

There is a menu setting for "opening a new tab" and I tried it to see if the cd would appear in a "tab" but it did not.

I tried opening and closing Dolphin several times, "exercising it" by going different places doing a copy and paste etc. and the cd link did not re-appear.

I tried to find a "menu item" to "undo" the show in tab, and to "re-enable" the show option, but I........particularly....... can't seem to find an option for it.

Looking on the net there is a lot of discussion of the open in new tab and the menu items for it, but I can't find anything about the cd symbol disappearing.

I tried restarting the OS but no menu item for the cd.

So... any comments aside from uninstalling Dolphin and reinstalling it?

is there maybe a "kill all" for Dolphin and then restarting it that will reset it to defaults?

I'm sure that there is a script about Dolphin but I don't know that I want to actually l edit a folder about such a fundamental thing to the system as Dolphin.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Well, apparently clicking the cd icon to "open in new tab" ..........UNMOUNTED the device!

If I put in a data cd or DVD it is not seen in either Dolphin or Konqueror.

However, a music cd or film DVD is popped in notifications to be played with Dragon Player! :0 lol

So....now I have to figure out how to mount the device I think..... or not...

again, any suggestions welcome!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Delete the dolphin configuration directory.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

LOL
        Well THAT seems extreme!

When I tried to mount it, I got a return that it was already in /woodsmoke/media/MV_561

when I looked there it is empty.

Soooo if I delete the directory, I assume that I'll restart the computer and Dolphin will "repopulate"?

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well, I did a search and found a "dolphin" executable in usr/bin which, when clicked, opens the file structure.

So, I'm assuming that the above named is the particular file.

It still seems a tad extreme though, I assume that I'm going to immediately restart and that dolphin will repopulate.....riiiiigggghhhhttt? lol

woodummmsmlke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

IT IS ALL GONE! KAPUT!!
            naaahhh not really. lol

I decided that the config filw was:

.kde4/share/config/dolphinrc

So, I deleted that restarted and nada on the icon in Dolphin but putting a data dvd in the drive, it opened up in...."desktop" lol

woodsmoke
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 02, 2016, 05:18 PM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi
              please read my previous posts if desired.

I'll be jiggered!

I never really paid attention but when the notifier pops for a data cd it says "open with file manager in desktop!"

Ok well it opens in "root"

I went to my work machine and used the hard drive with KDE Neon on it annnndddd.....

When a data cd is put in the tray the notifier pops and says....

"open with file manager in desktop". !!!

Now, it does open in "desktop" in the left panel.

So I went back to the machine in question and "created" a link in the left panel to "desktop".

Tried the cd again and it opened in "root".

A MUSIC CD

on the work machine a notifier pops and asks if I can open it as an audio cd and the cd is displayed in the left panel but when clicked it shows nothing, however, Amarok offers to play it.

the same cd on the machine in question says that I have "two actions" open in file manager and it opens in root, clicking that shows..NOTHING ...

and also to play as audio cd which it does with dragon player.

So.... I guess that everything is ok...I don't keep any files on the computer without they are backed up on a usb stick or something so.

I guess that it is a "non-issue issue". lol

I also tried updating and nothing changed.

so, if anyone has any ideas I will try them, but dunno..

woodsmoke
              Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 02, 2016, 05:57 PM.
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
              X