This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No Default Panel

In the most recent updates, the Default Panel and an Empty Panel are no longer there. If I Add Panel it fails to do anything.

Any suggestions on how to get my Panels back? Currently Alt+F2 is the way I am getting apps going.

I've reported this to the KDE neon list members, but I'm pretty sure they are already aware of this issue. Pretty sure it will be fixed ASAP.

Added:
    Received a reply from Jonathan Riddell two minutes after I sent the email! There is work going on with MultiJob Project xenial_unstable_frameworks_plasma-framework that he states "hopefully this'll fix it".

Wait for another round of updates.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 18, 2016, 04:36 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The build in question that 'should' fix it.

http://build.neon.kde.org/job/xenial...-framework/94/

A couple of related changes in upstream kde sources required that re-building, after another had been rebuilt first.

(Same thing occurred on kubuntu CI)
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks very much, such a relief. I had to delete about 4 default panels and two empty panels as a result of trying to get a panel back.

Now I can leave Australia with peace of mind.

Comment

It's been fixed. Just update/dist-upgrade (full-upgrade) again to pull in the fixes. For me, 15 upgraded packages:

ark dolphin gwenview kio-extras kio-extras-data libdolphinvs5 libkf5plasma5 libkf5plasmaquick5 libkworkspace5-5 libplasma-geolocation-interface5 libtaskmanager6 libweather-ion7 plasma-framework plasma-workspace sddm-theme-breeze

Comment

The only outstanding problem that I now have is that applications are not listed on the default panel. So if I take and application down using "v" it is not shown at all and therefore it is not possible to bring it back up again.

As a precautionary measure, I reverted to the "stable" option for neon, so I am beginning to wonder it I should return to using the "unstable" option.

Comment

While the panels are now present, I have decided to mark this thread as being Unsolved because the default panel does not show a list of the icons for the active windows.

When the panel was restored, I found that the system tray was on the left side next to the Launcher and Window Pager. To fix this I added a Panel Spacer which I thought would be the location for the active window icons.

Can this problem be fixed by some simple changes as I find the lack of active windows on the default panel very frustrating.

Comment

You likely don't have the Task Manager widget installed to the Panel (it isn't installed in the Default Panel). It's what holds 'running' applications. Just add it to the Panel and you'll be good to go.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, BUT I have it installed, and I get this error

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plasma_Error.png
Views:	1
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	643280

Looks like something is not right with my system.

Comment

Have you logged out/rebooted since the last update??

Comment

Yes, I have been doing it regularly each day.

I am beginning to wonder if my problem is caused by changing from neon unstable to stable as I am no longer in Australia but currently in Milan, Italy. I made this change to limit the number of updates while traveling. That is why I didn't complain for a couple of days since the problem appeared after the panels vanished and then I got them back.

Edit:

It was due to changing from neon unstable to stable. I am now at a different location with over five times the Internet connection speed, so I changed back to the unstable option and it fixed my problem. I now have the active task icons along the default panel.
                      Last edited by NoWorries; Aug 22, 2016, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X