This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Experience with NEON

OK, so I made the jump of making KDE Neon by OS. No others and fresh install.

There are some items that over the years I've taken for granted that Kubuntu would have there. Which in general Kubuntu does. No issues, I already documented before this endeavor what I use and had. All installed as should and run very well. Two exceptions.

One: Could not find STEAM in the repos so may try to do the download from Steam but I know of issues others have had with that in Kubuntu. Maybe a non-issue with Neon. Don't know until I try it.

Two: Icon for Teamviewer is the white page with the '?' in it. Found this https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=133833 but it seems that these suggestions didn't correct Teamviewer's icon. No big deal for me and can wait to see if that ever clears.

KDE Neon seems to me to run smoother and quicker. Especially on updates. On the last update a few days ago it went amazingly fast for some reason.

The last update fixed a few minor issues and I now have what I did in Kubuntu except with the apparent performance improvements. The only thing that did not go away between the two OSs is KWIN does still periodically crashes.

In all I'm pleased with KDE Neon. There are no game changers here.

Glad to see I'm not the only one, Kubuntu is great but Neon is underrated.

I moved from Kubuntu (wanted more up to date Plasma because things were improving quickly) to openSUSE tumbleweed with Plasma, and then to Neon.

I am going to stick with Neon, so far it has been just the right mix of stable system stuff with up to date Plasma 5. openSUSE tumbleweed was a PITA if I'm honest - software that is right there in the main repos in ubuntu is often difficult to find in openSUSE unless you go trawling through peoples' private repos. System level stuff breaks quite frequently. None of that with Neon!

I noticed that package updates are way more verbose in Neon than Kubuntu, not sure if that's just a change of default setting in the package resolver (probably is, since you're more likely to have dependency conflicts etc. on a distro where things are moving quickly).

The only thing I've had trouble with on Neon (and it was a minor fix) was that add-apt-repository doesn't work very well - had to tweak the sources list myself because the script couldn't determine the ubuntu release to select a repo.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

OK, Steam works. I did have to manually do the below in Konsole as the application couldn't seem to perform this fuction properly. Was well documented issue but placing here for anyone.

mv ~/.steam/steam/* ~/.local/share/Steam/
      rmdir ~/.steam/steam
      ln -s ../.local/share/Steam ~/.steam/steam
      rm -rf ~/.steam/bin

Comment

Working...
      X