This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact Not Starting

Currently I have the following error when I start kontact at the command line.
    Code:
    kontact: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/akonadi_serializer_kcalcore.so: undefined symbol: _ZN8KCalCore10ICalFormat13readIncidenceERK10QByteArrayPNS_13ICalTimeZonesE
    The calendar flashes up on the screen very briefly before exiting when this error appears. I have used Akonadi Console to make "Personal Calendar" Ready by using the Filename /home/username/.local/share/kontact/, but that made no difference.

I somehow think that, when I cleaned up all the files in my home ~/tmp directory, there were some files in there that were NOT TEMPORARY and used by kontact. I am wondering if there is any way to get kontact to work again? I unfortunately do not have a backup of my current home directory.

What sources do you have enabled?

What are the versions of the kdepim-runtime and libkf5calendarcore5 packages you have installed?

kcalcore made changes to remove ICalTimeZones from public API, so if your kcalcore has that change but your kde-pimruntime is not new enough, then you could well get that error.
    Last edited by acheron; Jul 29, 2016, 12:56 AM.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

For kdepim-runtime I have version 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 and for libkf5calendarcore5 I have version 4:16.07.80+p16.04+git20160727.1639-0.

Thanks for your quick response.

Comment

OK, those version numbers indicate that you have KDE Neon repo enabled on that machine.

Unfortunately Neon are not building the latest KDE PIM (kontact, kmail etc) at the moment, so if you managed to get kontact etc installed then it's not surprising that it has in the end stopped working.

The Neon kcalcore version in that repository is now too new to allow your old KDE PIM version to work with it.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks for that explanation. I hope that it is not too long before the latest KDE PIM is developed as I rely heavily on Kontact for all my appointments, trips, birthdays etc.

I did find a backup for February and copied back my /tmp contents and that made no difference. So it must have been a coincidence of events that lead me to think that the problem was in that area. At least you have now put me straight on what is wrong and I will have to wait patiently for updates to fix this problem.

During this process, I did find that a desktop I had with Yakkety installed would not allow the installation of kontact whereas I had it working previously. So it looks like another wait and see.

Comment

There is a roadblock at the moment for both Neon and Kubuntu building the VERY latest KDE PIM, as it depends on some Qt packages that haven't been completely packaged even in Debian yet.

(QtWebEngine and QtWebChannel packages)

Once those are sorted, which IS being worked on, then that should allow latest PIM to be built.

If you are staying on Neon, then it will then be up to them whether they decide to package PIM for Neon.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
              For kdepim-runtime I have version 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 and for libkf5calendarcore5 I have version 4:16.07.80+p16.04+git20160727.1639-0.
              Downgrade libkf5calendarcore5 to 4:15.12.3 and it should work again, you can use Muon Package Manager and click on Force in the Version tab

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160729_134844.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	643253

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                Downgrade libkf5calendarcore5 to 4:15.12.3 and it should work again, you can use Muon Package Manager and click on Force in the Version tab
                Nice one clivejo.

I just assumed that would either refuse or cause more breakages, but seems it will accept such a downgrade.

Since on a new install, installing kontact is not a happy thing to do, and you would have to force downgrade

Can seemly force it on this Neon with:

sudo apt-get install kontact libkf5libkdepim5=4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 libkf5mailcommon5=4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 libkf5messagecomposer5=4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 libkf5messageviewer5=4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 libkf5incidenceeditorsng5=4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 libkf5eventviews5=4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 libkf5kdgantt2-5=4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1

without actual breakage.
                Last edited by acheron; Jul 29, 2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I had a problem with kf5screen7 refusing to upgrade because kf5screen5 was installed and "couldn't be removed". After two or three days of that nonsense I used Synaptic to uninstall kf5screen5 and kfscreen7 immediately replaced it without my intervention or aid. All is well in the garden now.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Could I suggest moving this thread to KDE Neon sub-forum, as really this problem is caused by the Neon repo being enabled?

Comment

Done. Thank you.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                        Could I suggest moving this thread to KDE Neon sub-forum, as really this problem is caused by the Neon repo being enabled?
                        Great idea as I had thought it should be there also. Thanks VERY MUCH as I now have my calendar working.

Last night I was attempting to get my calendar to work on 14.04. I only got some of the calendar events but not recently entered holiday periods as we are going overseas for 6 weeks shortly and these activities I could not get on the 14.04. It seems a bit of a mystery as to where all the calendar files are now kept even though I copied the relevant files from ~/.kde/share/apps.

Looks like while I slept last night a lot of others in the USA were being helped by what you suggested.

Comment

Well, Well, Well, Kontact is now no longer working big time. Kontact can now not be installed as well as kdepim-runtime . . .korganizer as shown below:
                          Code:
                          :~$ sudo apt install kontact
                          [sudo] password for aurora: 
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree       
                          Reading state information... Done
                          Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                          requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                          distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                          or been moved out of Incoming.
                          The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                           kontact : Depends: kdepim-runtime but it is not going to be installed
                                     Recommends: accountwizard but it is not going to be installed
                                     Recommends: akregator but it is not going to be installed
                                     Recommends: kaddressbook but it is not going to be installed
                                     Recommends: kmail but it is not going to be installed
                                     Recommends: knotes but it is not going to be installed
                                     Recommends: korganizer but it is not going to be installed
                          E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
                          As all these packages cannot be installed, it looks like some changes have been made which makes them un-installable.

I just hope a solution can be found to this problem in the near future. Any ideas on how to fix this are welcome.

Comment

You will just have to wait for KDE Neon to release installable packages for Kontact/KDEPIM

Comment

This morning I was able to install Kontact but at first it was a total disaster - nothing worked. I found that I had to install mysql-server and that allowed my Kontact to see "Contacts", "Feeds" and "Popup Notes". The Help > Kontact Information allowed me to install the calendar file but there is no Calendar in the Kontact's list and no option to install a calendar for the alternative: File > Import.

I tried to install Korganizer but that failed. I am wondering if it is just a case of waiting for updates or is there something else I can do to get the calendar working.

Comment

Working...
                              X