X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reclaiming Konqueror profiles in Dapper and Edgy

[Based on http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php#konqueror]

Kubuntu has modified Konqueror to include features and settings that are commonly used, making the interface much simpler and easier to use. Some users, however, prefer to have all the bells and whistles. This guide shows how you can revert to the original Konqueror configuration and get back the original profiles on Dapper and Edgy.

1. Remove the Kubuntu default settings for Konqueror:

Code:
    sudo rm -r /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/apps/konqueror
    or launch Konqueror as root with

Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    Note: If you wish to keep the Kubuntu default settings for future use or reference, move or rename the folder rather than deleting it.

2. Restore the original Konqueror configuration file:

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror-orig.rc /usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror.rc
    Note: The configuration used by Konqueror is konqueror.rc, while the original is konqueror-orig.rc. If you wish to keep the Kubuntu default configuration for future use or reference, rename konqueror.rc before entering the command above. (The ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror.rc overrides this file)

3. Restore the other profiles. This extra step is necessary in Dapper and Edgy, since these other profiles are not installed in these releases.

Go to http://jucato.org/kde/konq-profiles.html and download the four profiles there. Put these profiles in either:

~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles - if you want the profiles to be visible to your user only

/usr/share/apps/konqueror/profiles - if you want the profiles to be visible to the whole system (all users and root)

4. Restart/Close Konqueror. If the changes in the menu do not appear immediately, try logging out of KDE and loggin in again. Note that the konqueror.rc in ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/ overrides the one in /usr/share/apps/konqueror. You might need to delete the on in your home directory for the change to take effect.
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: Reclaiming Konqueror profiles in Dapper and Edgy

This is awesome, i was one of the people who poked Jucato's brain to try and figure this out.  I noticed that others had been trying to get the old profiles back so i tried and no luck with the methods that had been previously mentioned.

Comment

Jucato, I have recently come across some topics about this. However, for an uneducated user like me, what the * is i am missing? No one seems to bother to tell the proletars

Comment

The Konqueror menu bar in Kubuntu has hidden 2 menus: The Go menu, which allows you to go to different system locations in just one click, and the Window menu, which allows you to split windows or move tabs. The Settings menu is also missing some entries, like "Save View Changes per Folder", "Remove Folder Properties", and "Load View Profile".

As for Konqueror Profiles, Kubuntu only comes with two default profiles, File Management and Web Browsing.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Does this still work in Gutsy?
          I don't have "/usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror-orig.rc" .

Comment

Working...
          X