Software & Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software & Updates

When using Software & Updates sometimes the option, under the Updates tab, “When there are security updates” has been grayed-out and disabled. This has happened to me several times in a new installation. To make this option available again type this command in the terminal:
    sudo apt install update-notifier

Sorry, but what are you talking about exactly?

When you install the virtual package update-notifier in Kubuntu (e.g. 22.04) a bunch of new GTK-packages get installed (including e.g. gnome-keyring and software-properties-gtk !).
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Software & Updates is used to configure the sources for installable software and updates. I also use it to setup Ubuntu Pro, and to remove trusted provider keys (PPA’s) and to decide which software I want to have updated and that which I want removed (because it’s not updating properly).
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Oh, OK - you are talking about Software Sources (accessible from Discover -> Settings -> Software Sources ) or software-properties-qt (formerly known as software-properties-kde ).

I really don't think installing the GTK version that is used in Ubuntu (GNOME), Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu Unity and Ubuntu Cinnamon additionally in Kubuntu is a good solution for any Kubuntu user.
        It is meant for the GTK-based Ubuntu Flavours, not Kubuntu, Lubuntu or Ubuntu Studio

I don't want to sound hostile in any way, I appreciate your posts in this forum and sorry I have to say this, but IMHO a "real" solution would be more something like reconfiguring packages, deleting corrupt caches or settings files (perhaps even installing a single missing package) - and not installing some GTK packages that were never meant to be part of Kubuntu additionally to their Qt counterparts…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 01, 2023, 03:38 PM. Reason: typos

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post

I really don't think installing the GTK version that is used in Ubuntu (GNOME), Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu Unity and Ubuntu Cinnamon additionally in Kubuntu is a good solution for any Kubuntu user
          Black Cat, Then you probably shouldn't use it. I know of no other way of setting up Ubuntu Pro and attaching the token. Please tell me how you set up Ubuntu Pro? I don’t know of another way to attach the token. Just because you don’t do something doesn’t mean it’s wrong. GTK+ 3 is part of all Ubuntu flavors. Ubuntu Pro offers Enterprise-grade security to the home user for free for up to 5 computers. Some people may believe that Ubuntu Pro is unnecessary, I believe it is necessary

Comment

As per the information provided when you sign up:
            Code:
            sudo pro attach <your-token>
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231101_201746.png
Views:	116
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	674932

More detailed instructions for all the different ways to do this:
            https://ubuntu.com/pro/tutorial
            Of course, much of this only works on Ubuntu proper.

Installing update-manager pulls in 62 packages on my mostly stock Kubuntu system, which is not harmful, but a LOT of people here don't want to install all of this Gnome/Gtk-specific stuff unnecessarily.
            This is quite a huge number of things just to get an extra instance of the Software Sources tool, with an extra tab in it.

The command is actually much simpler to do - one doesn't need to faff with getting that extra 6 character code or anything.

But, stating what might happen when installing it up front is probably a friendly thing to warn about

But Pro doesn't have anything to do with your original reason for suggesting this as a workaround, and we don't even have the specific wording or layout in our Software Sources for “When there are security updates”, ​ so maybe your issue is unrelated to Plasma/Kubuntu to begin with?
            Here is what ours looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231101_204108 (1).png
Views:	121
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	674933

I will wager that a fix for your issue with the Ubuntu/Gtk specific version of the Software Sources tool having greyed-out options would likely be solved via a much less..."invasive"(?) set of packages.
            Or there is something amiss with the config file it accesses for this setting.

Comment

claydoh : Thank you for untangling this a bit!

JeffRedd : To be more useful for other people, I would suggest to change the title of this thread to something more specific.
              And I have to point out that a "Software & Updates" normally is not available to Kubuntu users - only if you have installed additional software. So this might also be worth mentioning (e.g. what exactly have you installed before to get to this problem in the first place…).
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 02, 2023, 04:48 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by JeffRedd View Post
                When using Software & Updates sometimes the option, under the Updates tab, “When there are security updates” has been grayed-out and disabled. This has happened to me several times in a new installation. To make this option available again type this command in the terminal:
                sudo apt install update-notifier

Same again

Comment

Working...
                X