X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Kubuntu over Oneric now have Kubuntu 11:10 LOL

EDIT: put 10:10 it should have been 11:10

I was over at Distrowatch last night and somebody had posted a big long sad letter saying goodbye to Ubuntu because "Ubuntu" (don't know why it wasn't "Canonical" or Shuttleworth, but anyway) didn't listen to their userbase and their long time fans and yada and yada... And everybody was chiming in about big bad Canonical.

So I posted that, in my opinion, it was all about vertical integration and that Onery would work fine on a tablet and why not just add your own display/window manager. And, I did notice ONE THING...most of the "comments" included the word "desktop". Which may, or may not, be indicative of something.

But then I figured, why didn't i DO it instead of TALKING about it!

So, being one to never let a good challenge, or lack of ice for my rum 'n coke, wait for long...I embarked on the deed.

This is on PLAIN, from Canonical "Unity" install.

a) Kubuntu is not in Kpackagekit. I had to run sudo synaptic and add Oneric Multiverse and Universe.
    b) I installed whatever I thought looked like a likely suspect except for debugging symbols etc.
    c) There were 1351 packages to install and that took about an hour to download and an hour to install. During the install there were three things to click(I think, I was kinda sleepy at the time) a) I wanted KDM for default, something else and that fglrx did not install.
    d) After reboot things looked a little odd in terms of the workspace pager but there was a notification that there were 499 updates. For that I went and took a nap, I think it took about a half hour, maybe.

Upon reboot, the grub splash is a rather pale blue screen with the old clunky letters from twenty years ago and the four dots and the words "Kubuntu 11:10". When the fourth dot is "hit" there is a "flash" of an underline cursor then it goes around again and one is at the login page.

In the first reboot, I had to choose KDM and assume that the second used the "previous" but I chose it again.

Sooooo the install seems to be "Kubuntu" in the obvious respects, don't know, one "oddement" seems to be that in the menu "Evolution" is labled "Groupware Suite" but don't know, that is probably because I just never use it and hadn't noticed. I had to set the clock manually. Other than that, again, it looks pretty much "Kubuy"

I'm posting this from KubUnity! now!

If anyone has questions I 'll be glad to try to answer them, but folks should remember that I'm just a hardware and app kinda guy!

woodsmoke

sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: Installed Kubuntu over Oneric now have Kubuntu 10:10 LOL

How about a screen shot, and some showing the menu structures?

Is it faster, or about the same. The repository --- 30,000+ apps, or less?

Avoiding the "rum & coke" time dilation, how much in "real time" would you say the update took?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The ACTUAL TIME...2:29 A.M. to 4:15 A.M. but one must remember that I was napping and there was a time in which the install stopped to provide a requestor, it was the fglrx thing.

This on cable in the U.S.

As to a screenshot, I'll do that, but I'll have to take a "picture" of the login screen.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

One other question: You installed Kubuntu onto the Ubuntu Unity desktop, right?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Re: Installed Kubuntu over Oneric now have Kubuntu 11:10 LOL

LOL Can't believe that I typed 10:10, it was, of course 11:10. I was too sleepy!

Right it was Ubuntu Unity desktop plain vanilla.

Hi
          Here ya go. The pics are from the first screen that has text.

If these are not what you mean by "menus" please tell me and I'll redo it.

First Screen

[img width=400 height=300]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8783/54587330.jpg[/img]

grub splash

[img width=400 height=300]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2328/57400343.jpg[/img]

login

[img width=400 height=300]http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3615/31783591.jpg[/img]

start menu

[img width=400 height=300]http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6676/79802971.jpg[/img]

System

[img width=400 height=300]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4641/23086906.jpg[/img]

system 02
          Kinda hard to see but the text is:

Release 11:10 (oneric)

[img width=400 height=300]http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4526/84985183.jpg[/img]

Hope this helps some and if there are “unneeded images” just tell me and I'll delet the ones that you don't need.

woodsmoke

sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

That's what I wanted to see! Thanks!

Interesting... all of the pics except the first and the last have Kubuntu or KDE's logos in them. The last shows the Gnome footprint. So, Ubuntu is running Unity, which is not Gnome, you install Kubuntu over it, which explains all the Kubuntu & KDE logos, but the last pic has Gnome on it. They've got some clean up to do.

P.S. -- Yup, a prof's office --- PostIt notes everywhere ... sign of a memory in decline! The last step is when you forget to use the PostIt notes.

Comment

LOL
              you are quite correct there!

And Something Just OCCURRED to moi!

I am the FIRST Alpher, Bethe tester for Kubuntu Oenoric! lol

woodwhereAREthosepostitnotessmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

339 updates yesterday/today

I don't know..... is it that I am getting updates for BOTH Oeneric AND KDE?

This is just freaky.

anybody know something that I don't?

Comment: I really do see nothing that does not work except for the "System Settings" / Printers / In which I get a:

The service "Printer Configuration" does not provide an interface "KCModule" with keyword "system-config-printer-kde/system-config-printer-kde.py' The factory does not support creating components of the specified type.

HOWEVER... I can install a printer through menu / system / printers where I can install a printer as normal.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                X