X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conky-faenza for KDE???(solved)

Hi!! ^^
    So i decided to come back from ubuntu to kubuntu cause i've always been a great fan of KDE, and after struggling with my dell vostro 1500 screen until it got broken beyond repair, i decided to install Kubuntu 10.10 to my Toshiba Stellite A665 and runs sweet!!! Just feel the power XD

So getting to the point of this post, after setting up my kubuntu and things i wanted to install start to customize and make cool my kubuntu (that's one of the best things that kde has over gnome) and i decided to install conky-faenza Link------- > http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/f...nky-bar-linux/

Now...i saw that conky is available in the repositories...but it appears on the internet on Gnome-look...so i was wondering if anyone tried this out and works and kde....or does anyone have any prior knowledge on how to make this run on kde or does it support it..

Thanks for your time,cheers
    Kira

Re: Conky-faenza for KDE

Conky has nothing to do with KDE -- neither does that conky-faenza, AFAIK. I see it is on gnome-look -- that should give you a hint.

But, conky runs just fine on a KDE desktop. I've got a huge one, that shows everything about my system, the weather, waiting e-mails -- practically brews coffee!

But I haven't tried that conky-faenza, so you can be the pioneer with that.

Comment

yeah i asked if it was compatible with KDE cause it was in gnome-look XD

Although thanks...i will try if it works and will give some feedback ^^

Comment

What happened to your Vostro 1500? I'm running the same notebook, and curious to know if there is a potential problem I should be on the look out for.

Comment

I've used Conky in various distros and in my personal opiniuon, Kubu has the best implementation of a generic one for first time user to play with it.

If you would care to give some STEP BY STEP, instructions about how to download the Faenza thing, how and where to untar and dpkg it you just "might" get some people that have never used conky or tried it once and weren't impressed to give it a whack.

Me...I never could get all that untar and dpkg stuff to work right...

I can see it now.... a Conky/Faenza SIG in Kubuntu! Woah...the thought boggles the mind!

I was being kinda light there but the thing DOES look very cool and I think a lot of folks might try it, including...moi!!

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying it, but it looks to me like a solid member of the Gnome Desktop family of eyecandy:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/08/f...nome-icon-set/

So, if you're running a KDE desktop, using this is not a natural fit to your installed environment -- fair warning.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
              What happened to your Vostro 1500? I'm running the same notebook, and curious to know if there is a potential problem I should be on the look out for.
              Well scotty it seems it was the screen and battery, all started when i installed windows 7 to it long time ago....then the screen started to flicker until all the brightness went out (weird) so i was crazy about fixing this....so i opened the screen took off all static electricity and done everything i could to save it...after a while the windows 7 said battery was broken and only 30 % of its life was available....(after wondering around making some calls to dell and else i found out windows 7, for those computers that don't come with it out of the box, usually breaks the battery and seems lots of people have been asking to microsoft to buy them a new laptop haha...) either way not knowing if it was that or not.. i just wanted to fix the damn computer and found out trying stuff that if you level down 1 point of brightness the screen will not flicker...(i think is cause the battery is the main source of a continuous electricity source so if you take off the batter is not going going to fix anything...) it worked fot half a year that way till no more it worked...and i just said eehh whatever...i just opened the battery of my dell vostro and look the 6 ION cells cause i thought of buying a new battery and saw it was 149 and I thought it wasn't worthy to buy a battery of that price having a Toshiba Satellite A665 Led i3 with 9 hours of battery so i found out that each 2 ION batteries was like 5 $ so i decided to open my battery XD....

And right now im planning also to rip off the screen and connect to a external screen...Wish me luck..

My advice...don't use windows 7 on computers that didn't came with it already out of the box...and beware with electricity voltage my fry the resistance of the screens or the battery and dell will say ''Im going to charge you 300$ for the screen since it's a 1 piece even if it's just a flicker...so it may be not worth it cause for 300$ more you can buy a brand new one...''

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                I've used Conky in various distros and in my personal opiniuon, Kubu has the best implementation of a generic one for first time user to play with it.

If you would care to give some STEP BY STEP, instructions about how to download the Faenza thing, how and where to untar and dpkg it you just "might" get some people that have never used conky or tried it once and weren't impressed to give it a whack.

Me...I never could get all that untar and dpkg stuff to work right...

I can see it now.... a Conky/Faenza SIG in Kubuntu! Woah...the thought boggles the mind!

I was being kinda light there but the thing DOES look very cool and I think a lot of folks might try it, including...moi!!

woodsmoke

Thanks...i decided to give it a try and make the config file so it works with kde...but i have a problem...i installed already conky....once installed how do you run it?? or make it work?? cuase i installed it and nothing appears new, no conky launcher or widget...so...i dont know...if anyone of u guys have it running tell me what should i do right after installing it.

Thanks, Kira

Comment

Conky is, ummm .... a little complicated. :P But, it can also be a fun project, if you're patient.

Start with the Ubuntu guide here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/conky-a-li...x-systems.html

Then learn about the various add-on scripts here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=85524

then you can learn lots more here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281865

Comment

Hi
                    Conky is all about "command line"....but don't get too skeerd!

There is a file in home/etc/conky that is called conky conf in Ubu/KDE it is normally called "conky.rc" elsewhere.

Do not do anything in there until you have read a lot and looked at the file. You cannot "hurt" the file by just clicking and viewing it so do that.

As a start, please look at all the text and you "should" notice that after you see about "www.gnu liscences" there might be a # and then a blank and then the sentence:

alignment top_left.

Just take a look at it and then minimize it.

As I said, conky is all about command line, so it is a nice place to start getting used to "scripting".

To start or stop conky you have to "open a terminal".

Go to menu/applications/system/terminal.

When you click it you will see a "black box" appear.

Some things you do in the terminal require "sudo", that means doing things from "root" but others do not, such as running a program. That is what you do with conky.

Just type in the word "conky" without the quotation marks and conky "should" appear on the top left corner of the screen with white text.

Problemo....if you have a bunch of docks, or other stuff going on up there they can get bollixed up togeher because of the video system trying to "paint" all of them, so I would reduce the clutter to maybe the upper panel if you have one.

Now, do you remember the script in conky.conf? The first line was alignment top_right and the conky did, indeed, appear at the top right.

You might notice that the fifth line down is "default_color" white and the text is white.

There are a multitude of ways to change conky around.

You have to be "root" to save a configuration that you have made and the effects will only be seen when you have saved, they do not appear "in real time".

NOTE: before you try to "change and keep" ANYTHING............ save the original config file as conkyA.config or some such name so that you can get it back if something gets messed up.

I recommend that you READ the stuff that dlbl gave in the linkys there are very good before you do anything.

Then ONLY do some simple things like change colors or something.

Until you get the hang of it.

To stop conky.....I will now use the "Linuxy terminology" !

terminal - killall conky

have fun and ask questions this is a VERY friendly forum.

woodsmoke

sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hey thanks a lot to both of u now conky works perfect donde the config file already and changed it to what i needed runs perfect i also found out how to make it transparent ^^
                      Thanks alot now will get hands on conky-faenza XD thanks!

Comment

Hi
                        I'm glad you had success.... if you would, you could go back to your original post and insert this at the front of the original title:

[SOLVED]

and don't be a stranger...come back with a pic maybe of your setup!

woodsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                        X