X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback request on alternative tray icon set

Greetings all,

As all of you who use KDE SC 4.5 know, it comes with a new plasma icon theme for the tray.

I created an alternative theme a few weeks back, and the theme has been uploaded here:
    http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=133300

The goal was to create a theme I liked using myself, and hopefully inspire others (with better artistic skills) to come up with more and better themes.

For the latter goal in mind, I'm hoping to make the theme as "complete" as possible, so if you know of applications that have tray icons and aren't represented yet in the Krayscale theme, I'd gladly hear about them. I'm primarily looking for apps that I can create svg icons for, but I'll also consider creating pngs for apps that don't support the new svgs, if they have a (fairly) large user-base.

Re: Feedback request on alternative tray icon set

I haven't tried the theme, but the icons look pretty cool, specially on the dark coloured theme (I use a light coloured theme myself).

Comment

Well, if someone comes with a colorful alternative, I'd be glad to test it
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

In my opinion, it's a very classy looking set of icons.

However, I will never really care about tray icons because I use non-KDE apps (thunderbird, gpodder) that have tray icons so it ruins it for me because there's no way to make the non-KDE app icons match, for example, the ones you posted here.
        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Thanks for the comments, all

Originally posted by aqeeliz
          I haven't tried the theme, but the icons look pretty cool, specially on the dark coloured theme (I use a light coloured theme myself).
          Yes, the theme is primarily designed for darker themes/panels (goal #1 ) on which the icons stand out best. Once I'm satisfied with the icon graphics/completeness of the theme, it should be relatively simple to create a dark version that would look better on lighter themes.

Originally posted by kyonides
          Well, if someone comes with a colorful alternative, I'd be glad to test it
          You could do one yourself. If you like the icon graphics, but would like more color...it's rather simple to open up the svgs (.svgz is just a gzipped .svg) in an svg editor (or just a text editor) and change the gray gradients to something more colorful (you could do a blue theme...or a theme with different colors for different icons).

Originally posted by rfakhrai
          However, I will never really care about tray icons because I use non-KDE apps (thunderbird, gpodder) that have tray icons so it ruins it for me because there's no way to make the non-KDE app icons match, for example, the ones you posted here.
          I don't use thunderbird or gpodder, but usually you can modify the tray icons of apps that don't support the KDE tray spec by editing/replacing the png icon used for the tray (probably /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/gpodder.png for gpodder, for example). I'm not really sure it's worth the trouble, but usually there is "a way".

Comment

Working...
          X