This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please send Dolphin back to Sea

I think Dolphin is cute - in fact, it's just about as cute as an Apple -- but I have trouble seeing its purpose other than the icons. Krusader is a wonderful file management tool. You can easily see items in split screen view, which then makes it easy to copy or move files from one directory to another. For instance, if my /home/name/ directory is getting cumbersome because I have too many letters or jokes or whatever in the directory I can quickly set up subfolders on the right-hand screen and then use the left hand screen to collect items and move them into the appropriate subfolders.

I did finally discover that one can do a split screen on Dolphin, but the default there appears to be making both sides identical and it's difficult to change the sides separately. Further, too much of the screen real estate is taken up with the "cute"not-so-little icons. I really think most users understand the word "home" without having to have a picture of a house to let them know where they are. I hated the program so much that I never got around to discovering the icon for "root"; is it a radish?

If the developers feel that Dolphin is absolutely necessary, please at least leave Krusader for the rest of us to use. And if it's an attempt to make a non-KDE file manager so as to aid those using other non-KDE versions of Ubuntu (or of Linux, in general), just change Krusader's name to Crusader or Patriot or Porpoise if Crusader smacks too much of the medieval Crusaders.

Re: Please send Dolphin back to Sea

konqueror is also a file-browser u know try use it as a file-manager and see if you like it. it's included by default.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

I believe Dolphin was made the default file manager to be a little more user friendly for new users. I agree with nowshining, Konqueror is a rather nice file manager that was the default for KDE for a long time and is what I use as well.
      Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

When, early on, it was reported that Dolphin and sudo didn't play well together, I chose not to use it, and still don't. I like Konqueror. I haven't installed Krusader, so can't comment on it, although what I've read posted about it, it is better than Dolphin.

When I need to do file management, I use the command line. Again, with Linux, it's all about choice. Cool. 8)
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Again, with Linux, it's all about choice. Cool. 8)
          Agreed!

For me I use Dolphin for "normal" file browsing and file searching. When it comes down to do Administrative Tasks I switch to Konqueror. To me Konqueror is still far better.

Comment

Since no one seems to have mentioned it, I feel impelled to say that you can split the view in konq either Left & Right or Top & Bottom. In fact, not only do I use the Konqueror split view to shift things from one directory to another, but also to shift things from my machine to my wife's website (located on our ISP's hardware) via ftp. Can Dolphin do that?

Comment

Now that is COOL! I've never tried this setting. And you are right, you can navigate separately within each 'pane.' Click in the pane to make it active, and the URL affects the list in that pane. Drag-n-drop in Konqueror. How cool is that? 8)
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wow, I've just discovered that you can split each screen again and again.
                Haven't seen that since frames were all the rage in the nineties

Comment

While I still prefer Konqueror (especially when browsing on networked computers) I am starting to get used to Dolphin. It is just a different way of doing things and takes a while to get used to. I can understand why it might be easier for new users.

Comment

please at least leave Krusader for the rest of us to use.
                    Krusader is developed by the Krusader Krew.

Main Krusader page is Krusader Org and they are telling that:
                    Krusader 2.0.0-beta1 "Phoenix Egg" released! Latest Release
                    Released: 2008-07-06
                    The Krew is proud to present the first KDE4 release of your favourite file manager! This beta is all about porting, all dependencies to the Qt3 support libs have been removed.

Also > KDE-Apps Org >> Krusader
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Konqueror and Krusader both are great. I wish "they" (whoever "they" are) would leave well enough alone. I don't want to learn how to use Dolphin. I tried and it taxed my brain (serious business for us old folks).

Comment

The good thing is -- we got choices here. The bad thing is if your choice is not the default-- it's annoying.

To change default from Dolphin (toy file browser) to Konqueror (grown-up file browser), go to Favorites > System Settings > Advanced > File Associations. Click 'inodes' and select 'Directory'. Move Konqueror above Dolphin. Do the same for 'block devices'. That should make you Konqueror fans happy.

Comment

Agreed, Dolphin is not very helpful for even slightly experienced users like myself. As sorry as I am to say this, I find it even less useful than Windows Explorer. Where are the Move files to ... and Copy files to ... functions?

Originally posted by razrlazr
                          To change default from Dolphin (toy file browser) to Konqueror (grown-up file browser), go to Favorites > System Settings > Advanced > File Associations. Click 'inodes' and select 'Directory'. Move Konqueror above Dolphin. Do the same for 'block devices'. That should make you Konqueror fans happy.
                          Thank you very much for that very important tip!
                          Welcome newbies!
                          Verify the ISO
                          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Where are the Move files to ... and Copy files to ... functions?
                            Earlier > Re: Preview enlargement in Dolphin
                            Another useful facility missing from Dolphin is the right click menu with the move to: and the copy to: options on it.
                            >> Service Menus with Dolphin
                            New Service Menus for Dolphin
                            Here is simple servicemenu for Dolphin. It will copy/move files to the destination folder (you choose destination folder from KDialog directory tree)...
                            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by razrlazr
                              The good thing is -- we got choices here. The bad thing is if your choice is not the default-- it's annoying.

.... and to make completely sure of it, when you have clicked <Apply Changes> you can then click <Remove>.

Comment

Working...
                              X