This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimized kernel for AMD

Hello all, I am a complete nooby and have finally gotten Kubuntu up and running thanks to jrsoit. Big shout out to ya bro. Anyway, I am running an older mobo that has an AMD K6-2 500 (test computer for the practice) and was wondering if there is specific build or kernel I should use. I here about the i386, 486, 586 and i686 kernels but am unfamiliar with each of there purposes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Optimized kernel for AMD

Hi,

If you're using a K6-2 you should use the kernel i686 version. available in adept (or apt-get) as linux-image-686 (or something like) sorry I can't check...
    By typing the following command in console mode, you should get it :
    apt-cache search linux-image
    It's the one with 686 at the end

Cheers

Comment

Thanks sky, I will try to find the 686 kernel. If I get it, will I still be able to run the working 386 kernel I have? Thx again

Comment

yes, you will it will add lines in grub menu, so you will be able to boot on the kernel you want...
        Cheers

Comment

How cool is that. Beginning to like Linux/Debian more and more. I will get er dun. Thanks again

Comment

I install kernel 2.6.12-10k7, and when I reboot, X dont start. I used before kernel 2.6.12-10-386, and everything was alright. But then I read from this forum about customization for AMD ( I have Duron 1,2 ) with kernel k7 and it goes wrong. Should I use kernel 686 or what? Thanks in advance!!
            Somebody help me ye, somebody help me now, somebody help me when Im down...

Comment

You can use the 686 linux image.

Comment

Originally posted by Suomipoika
                I install kernel 2.6.12-10k7, and when I reboot, X dont start. I used before kernel 2.6.12-10-386, and everything was alright. But then I read from this forum about customization for AMD ( I have Duron 1,2 ) with kernel k7 and it goes wrong. Should I use kernel 686 or what? Thanks in advance!!
                K7 should work on a Duron processor.

How did you install the k7 kernel? Just the  2.6.12-10k7 package?

Try installing 'linux-k7' package (it depends on the latest kernel-image and the linux-restricted-modules-k7)

Comment

Thank you very much!! I`ts works now. I`ve install those missing packages Kubicle tell me. But why in earth Synaptic wont told these dependencies before installing k7-package?. Or nobody in earlier discussions with this topic? Only ”just install k7 for AMD, and everythins allright!”. But I don`t want to abuse anybody, these things just are like this sometimes. Thank you anyway so much! There`s one more question: Do I have now 386 or 686 kernel stuff, when I have this K7-kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Suomipoika
                    But why in earth Synaptic wont told these dependencies before installing k7-package?
                    Probably because the restricted modules aren't always necessary (you do need them if you use nvidia or fglrx drivers, for example).

You can browse the kernel packages installed available with synaptic (search packages starting with 'linux-').

You can also uninstall kernel packages you don't need (I usually keep the 386 kernel as a backup and update them one at a time, so I can boot the computer with the other kernel if something goes wrong in the update)

Comment

O.K. I use Nvidia driver, and so restricted packages are for me. And that's why there comes error messages telling me about X-server configuration problems after installing k7, but before installing restricted packages.

O.K. this seems to be pretty clear to me! Thank you!

Comment

Hello all. 386 kernel going good after tweaks. I tried the 686 and the k7 kernel as suggested for my K6-2 and machine will not boot into either kernel. I built this machine 6 or 7 years ago and linux came up with things that I did not know was here, like firewire?? Anyway, I am still trying to get the 686 kernel to run. Thanks all for the help.

Comment

If you have a K6, the K7 kernel will not work. It assumes the presence of registers that you don't have. However, it should work with the 686 kernel. I have seen some non-authoritative posts that say that a K6 will run slower with a 686 kernel, but they don't say compared to what. All I can say is try it, but don't get rid of your 386 kernel unitl you see how it works.

Comment

Thanks. It seems that the 386 kernel is what I fall back on. I think I have this old thing running as best as it can until I get hardware upgrades. I still can't say enough on how great you guys have been. Hope I can be of some help someday.

Comment

Working...
                            X