This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing embedded midi files with out mozplugger

How to play embedded midi sounds in Firefox without installing mozplugger.

After doing a search to find out how to play embedded midi sounds, I found several places that had instructions that all included mozplugger and timidity. I had a problem with mozplugger conflicting with some of my other plugins, so I figured there must be a way to play midi sounds without mozplugger. There is.

First, install timidity.
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install timidity

The install program will suggest a couple of other programs, which I also installed but I don't know if they are required or not, but install them anyway. They are very small and require very little additional disk space. JackD and pmidi if I remember correctly.

Then open Firefox and install a plugin called "MediaPlayer Connectivity". https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/446/

Then restart Firefox. When Firefox restarts, a wizard will come up to configure the plugin. Cancel the wizard. We don't need to do that. Once Firefox is open, Go to Tools>MediaPlayerConnectivity>Configure.

When it opens, it will open to the list of selected media players. Remove all check marks so nothing is selected. Check "Expert Mode" at the bottom of the page.

Now click on the "Advanced" tab at the top of the page.

Enter the following information.

Name- Anything you want to call it, but I used "Midi".
    Mime Type List- audio/midi;audio/mid;audio/x-midi
    Extensions List- mid;midi

Now click "Add" at the bottom of the page.

Now click on the "Media Players" tab. Midi (or whatever you named it) should be listed. Check the block. Put a check mark in all 4 of the boxes E,C,F,A. Then type /usr/bin/timidity in the Pathname box.

Click Apply and OK.

You should now be able to hear the midi sounds on web sites with embedded midi.

Here is one you can test it on.

http://www.geocities.com/pheon.geo/Pagetwo/pheons.htm

Re: Playing embedded midi files with out mozplugger

Det, you get a kudo for that one!

Comment

Glad to be of help!

Comment

I'll forward that motion
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram