This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LO Draw gwenview synergism with pdf produced by older windows app

This post is about an unknown, to me at least, synergism between LO Draw and Gwenview.

This is just well, kind of amazing, odd, whatever, and really does illustrate that if one just "fiddles" with stuff amazing things happen.

If one has ever wanted to add an image to a .pdf or merge .pdfs there are whole apps out there for doing this and in Linux especially.

i've always gone the "GIMP" route with this kind of stuff but I have an absolutely essential app that I HAVE to run which is Crossword Forge which is, apparently a "one man operation". The website has disappeared and the Facebook page has not been updated since 2012.

But, it is apparently for sale I confirmed the download of the zip at Cnet but didn't actually extract it because I don't want to mess things up in WINE.

It is pricey but well worth it for the heavy duty crossword or word scramble puzzle maker although it is "intended" for home use apparently.

Anyway, there have been odd times when the particular #buntu of the moment would not export the .pdf with a background image. On something like a full featured Kubuntu it was exporting with the background but on a Neon it is not.

Since I am doing the Neon thing with my usual "minimal additions" mode I have not installed GIMP or such until i actually have a need for such.

There are MANY mainly Windblows apps such as this recognize that there are problems working with various OS's, it is available for MAC also.

So it also has a "puzzle only" export as a .bmp and the .bmp does, indeed retain the background.

So, without really THINKING about it i mused that maybe I could open the .pdf puzzle that does NOT have the background with "something" and... only LibreOffice Draw was available.

I do not normally use LO Draw for ...ANYthing...I always needed to do something more heavy duty than Draw would do. But, I did open the .pdf with LO Draw and it opened fine.

I opened the .bmp with Gwenview and just ...copied. Did not "select" or anything, just hit the copy button.

then went to LO Draw and...hit the paste button. ...and voila! :0

There it was! .bmp overlaying the top of the .pdf where the puzzle boxes sans background was the clues being below!

saved it and then exported it as a .pdf and there it was, ready to post in canvas!

POINT BEING...I think that people in ALL OS's windblows, Linux, Mac whatever...have done just all sorts of "oddments" of things that just never get reported, or if they are reported it is lost in the swamp of other useful or quasi-useful elucidations.

So...to the LO Draw developers...good work!!

woodsmoke

P.S. this app, is, I think, a fine example of how a "web only sales model" reaches a peak because of initial reviews and word of mouth and then falls off. If the fellow had "had the money, whatever" to mount an "in store" sales operation, he might have made a lot more money and over a longer period of time because the thing works really, really, well

And...the whole name of the company...'Sol Robots"... lol just smacks of Asimov! lol
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 17, 2017, 07:32 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

qxw and xword are in the repository!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi!

Yes, i quite agree, however, they do not produce the robust crosswords that I need. I've fiddled with them over the years, and appreciate what they do but they are not really configured to carry out an assembly line approach to making dozens and dozens of puzzles and the format is not really "with it' in terms of present day student expectation.

Also, this post was for the purpose of encouraging other folks, possibly new ones to Linux, to explore interactions of software that might not have been referenced, or referenced in the mountain of other stuff.

woodsmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 18, 2017, 02:45 PM.
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I downloaded the win.zip file and ran Ark on it to unzip the exe installer. Then I right moused on that and chose "install with the Wine installer" (I have both WINE and POL installed) and it installed nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170619_104503.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	643538

Now to uninstall it just as easily!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

yep, it is a robust app for what I, partiuclarly, need. not saying that anyone else needs that horsepower.

nice destkotp btw .

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X