Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of OLD claims about Btrfs being "experimental" and "unstable" are floating around. The Btrfs Status page is here. On it one will note that only the RAID56 code is unstable. The rest is either "mostly OK" or "OK".

Performance
    Trim (aka. discard) OK fstrim and mounted with -o discard (has performance implications)
    Autodefrag OK
    Defrag mostly OK extents get unshared (see below)
    Compression & deduplication
    Compression mostly OK (needs verification and source) auto-repair and compression may crash
    Out-of-band dedupe mostly OK performance issues
    File range cloning mostly OK (reflink), heavily referenced extents have a noticeable performance hit
    Reliabillity
    Auto-repair OK automatically repair from a correct spare copy if possible (dup, raid1, raid10)
    Scrub OK
    Scrub + RAID56 Unstable will verify but not repair
    nodatacow OK (see below)
    Device replace mostly OK gets stuck on devices with bad sectors
    Balance OK
    Block group profile
    Single (block group profile) OK
    DUP (block group profile) OK
    RAID0 OK
    RAID1 mostly OK Needs at least two available devices always. Can get stuck in irreversible read-only mode if only one device is present.[1] [2]
    RAID10 mostly OK Needs to be able to create two copies always. Can get stuck in irreversible read-only mode if only one copy can be made.[3] [4]
    RAID56 Unstable write hole still exists, parity not checksummed
    Mixed block groups OK see documentation
    Administration
    Filesystem resize OK shrink, grow
    Offline UUID change OK
    Subvolumes, snapshots OK
    Send OK corner cases may still exist
    Receive OK
    Seeding OK should be better documented
    Quotas, qgroups mostly OK
    Misc
    Free space tree mostly OK see below
    no-holes OK see documentation for compatibility
    skinny-metadata OK see documentation for compatibility
    extended-refs OK see documentation for compatibility
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have used Btrfs for only two & 1/2 years. I have never had a problem with it. I am currently running a RAID1 on two 750 Gb HDs and back up snapshots to another 750GB HD mounted at /backup. When I was running VirtualBox I marked the folder that the virtual drives were going into as nocow, and I touched new virtual drives and set them as nocow before I created them in VirtualBox. I also made my virtual HDs static (fixed size) not dynamic. Taking those precautions I never had a problem with Btrfs & VirtualBox co-existing. Up until a couple weeks ago I was running a PostgreSQL server and it never gave me any problem with Btrfs either.

I was looking into writing my own GUI for Btrfs but when I analyzed my usecase it became obvious to me that a GUI would not make my backup or recovery work any easier than doing the work manually as root, as I documented in another thread. I can put those commands in a script which prompts for the root password and creates an automatic date extension for the ro snapshots, but the snapshots are created in milliseconds and doing an up arrow to get the first command, arrowing over and adding "home" behind "@", hitting the "End" key and pressing return is about just as fast. When doing a send & receive the @bkup send takes about 10-15 minutes and the @homebkup send takes about twice as long. I can't say how long a restore would take because in 2 1/2 yrs, since moving to NEON, I've never had to do one.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Be not the first by whom the new are tried,
        Nor yet the last to lay the old aside.Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1711
        English poet & satirist (1688 - 1744)

Sounds like how TV networks and movie companies think.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Working...
        X