Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the guess work out of which Nvidia driver to use

Nvidia lists their Unix drivers here.

Select the "Linux x86_64/AMD64/EM64T" collection of drivers assuming, or course, your machine is the classic x86_64 architecture.

One can select a specific driver by clicking on the release number. Can the 390.xx series be used to drive your GT 650M GPU?
    Click on 390.144, the latest release.
    On the page it leads to click on the "Supported Products" tab search for "650M". You are taken to:
    GeForce 600M Series (Notebooks):
    GeForce GTX 680MX, GeForce GTX 680M, GeForce GTX 675MX, GeForce GTX 675M, GeForce GTX 670MX, GeForce GTX 670M, GeForce GTX 660M, GeForce GT 650M, GeForce GT 645M, GeForce GT 640M, GeForce GT 640M LE, GeForce GT 635M, GeForce GT 630M, GeForce GT 625M, GeForce GT 620M, GeForce 610M
    and there it is, highlighted in red.

When you search for "650M" in the higher versions, 465.13 and 470.74, the GT 650M is not listed. So, 390.144 is the proper choice.
    You can also find the GT 650M in the 340.108 and the 304.137 releases. If the 390 release gives you problems you can try one of the two previous releases to see if things improve.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

When I got a new GT630 driver (I think it was new), I went to the driver manager, and it selected automatically the 390 driver I'm now using. Actually, I wasn't sure just exactly which Nvidia model I was using and just assumed it was GT630, since it was my last one. But it works correctly.

Comment

The Driver Manager suggests the appropriate driver for the card, if applicable. No going to Nvidia websites at all.

Comment

Yup, all done automagically....
        Attached Files
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

WHEN it works. In the past I've had the "automagical install" fail to install a workable drive because it chose the wrong one, and I've had it work. But, since I know what driver my GT 650M needs I automatically install it from the repository, making sure it also includes the dkms.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks
            Linux User #454271

Comment

I'm (Im)patiently waiting for the NVIDIA 495.44 Graphics Driver to hit the repo!

Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Working...
              X