Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOWTO: Fix missing KDE icons, wallpaper, splash screen, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO: Fix missing KDE icons, wallpaper, splash screen, etc.

I have no idea how this happened, but I had developed some kind of funky permissions problem. As a result, I could not see icons in Konqueror, Kopete, Control Center, etc. I'm talking about the icons in the menu bar, not file icons. I was also unable to hear system sounds or load the wallpaper I had selected. Only the default splash screen would come up while KDE was loading.

I tried a million things to get this fixed, and did manage to fix some permissions and get a few items back, but couldn't figure out how to make _everything_ work. Fortunately, there's a very easy fix!

In your /home/<username>/ directory, there's a configuration directory called /.kde/. You'll need to check "Show Hidden Files" in Konqueror's "View" menu to see it. Delete this directory (making a backup copy if it makes you feel more comfortable). Log out, and log back in. KDE will create a new configuration directory for you, and everything should be spiffy again.

Unfortunately, you'll have to re-set your preferences (such as language, wallpaper, etc.), but it's a small price to pay.

Re: HOWTO: Fix missing KDE icons, wallpaper, splash screen, etc.

Be warned that, apart from setup files, data from various KDE programs (such as Kmail) are stored there.

Comment

Re: HOWTO: Fix missing KDE icons, wallpaper, splash screen, etc.

Right you are! I hadn't noticed this because I had been working with a fresh install. Yikes!

Comment

Working...
      X