X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO: 3D support without fglrx on an ATI Radeon card

How to get 3D without fglrx on some ATI graphic adapters

Some time ago I decided to switch from propietary 'fglrx' to the opensource 'radeon' driver (I had a few issues with fglrx, and radeon seemed to bring better 2D performance...it supported 1400x1050@85 which I couldn't get to work with fglrx).
    (And of course it's nicer to use open source software instead of propietary )

I read that the radeon driver should even support 3D with my graphics adapter (Radeon 9000 Pro), but I couldn't get Direct Rendering working, so 3D was very slow.

After browsing through a lot of howtos and some testing/tinkering of my own, I finally managed to get Direct Rendering working nicely. Unfortunately I didn't write down everything I did when I did it, so I apologize if I have missed a step, but here are the things I remember doing.

If you decide to give it a go, make sure to back-up your settings before doing any changes.

1. Changed xorg.conf to use the 'radeon' driver (I had done this earlier, since I had used 'radeon' for a while)

Here's what I put in the Graphics Card section (Not sure if everything there is needed, but since it works as it is I haven't had the need to test which options are essential:
    Section "Device"
      identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon 9000 Pro (RV250 If)"
      boardname "ATI Radeon"
      busid "PCI:1:0:0"
      driver "radeon"
      vendorname "ATI"
      option "VideoOverlay"  "on"
      option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
      Option "RenderAccel" "on"
      Option "AGPMode" "4"
      Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
      Option "AGPFastWrite" "1"
    2. Removed the fglrx packages, I used to use the ubuntu packaged fglrx (as these seem to collide with the radeon OpenGL and break direct rendering)
    xorg-driver-fglrx
    fglrx-control
    linux-k7 (kernel metapackage depending on restricted modules)
    linux-restricted-modules-common
    linux-restricted-modules-k7
    linux-restricted-modules-k7-[version]

(if you use a different kernel, replace k7 with the appropiate one)

3. Rebooted

4. Checked whether Direct Rendering was working:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    Output:
    direct rendering: Yes

5. Checked the glxgears output
    Code:
    glxgears -printfps
    fps around 2500 (which was a huge improvement over previous 300)

6. To improve performance further, I installed 'driconf' from 'universe'.
    After running 'driconf' and enabling 'Use HyperZ to boost performance', I restarted X and fps from glxgears jumped up to over 4000, which I recall is better than I ever got with fglrx :P

Important notes:
    1. Last I checked, radeon driver didn't support 3d on very old or new cards, I recall it worked with 8500-9250 cards, but I could be wrong
    2. As mentioned, I may have missed a step as it was a while back when I did this, so you might wish to search for other howtos if you can't seem to get it working (getting direct rendering working is the critical step)
    3. Again, use caution when you edit your system, and make sure you know how to revert back if you need to. Though this has worked great for me, I can't promise it won't set your computer on fire or kill the dog next door...so proceed at your own risk
    4. If you're uncertain about how to perform the steps, then you probably shouldn't

Re: HOWTO: 3D support without fglrx on an ATI Radeon card

If my card is PCI-Expres?
    how to get 3d acceleration with my card Ati redeon X550 Extreme, My PC is pentium 4?

Comment

My (still being repaired) laptop has a radeom 200M, will it work? I'd love to try this when (if) I (ever) get it back.
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Here's the supported card list for the radeon driver (you can get it with 'man radeon')

DESCRIPTION
        radeon  is  an Xorg driver for ATI RADEON based video cards.  It contains full support for 8, 15, 16 and 24 bit pixel depths, dual-head setup, flat panel, hardware 2D acceleration, hardware 3D acceleration (experimental  on R300 and R400 series cards), hardware cursor, XV extension, and the Xinerama extension.

SUPPORTED HARDWARE
               The radeon driver supports PCI and AGP video cards based on the following ATI chips

R100        Radeon 7200

RV100       Radeon 7000(VE), M6

RS100       Radeon IGP320(M)

RV200       Radeon 7500, M7, FireGL 7800

RS200       Radeon IGP330(M)/IGP340(M)

RS250       Radeon Mobility 7000 IGP

R200        Radeon 8500, 9100, FireGL 8800/8700

RV250       Radeon 9000PRO/9000, M9

RS300       Radeon 9100 IGP

RS350       Radeon 9200 IGP

RS400       Radeon XPRESS 200/200M IGP

RV280       Radeon 9200PRO/9200/9200SE, M9+

R300        Radeon 9700PRO/9700/9500PRO/9500/9600TX, FireGL X1/Z1 (2D only)

R350        Radeon 9800PRO/9800SE/9800, FireGL X2 (2D only)

R360        Radeon 9800XT (2d only)

RV350       Radeon 9600PRO/9600SE/9600, M10/M11, FireGL T2 (2D only)

RV360       Radeon 9600XT (2d only)

RV370       Radeon X300, M22 (2d only)

RV380       Radeon X600, M24 (2d only)

RV410       Radeon X700, M26 PCIE (2d only)

R420        Radeon X800 AGP (2d only)

R423/R430   Radeon X800, M28 PCIE (2d only)

R480/R481   Radeon X850 PCIE/AGP (2d only)
        Looks like the X-series are 2d only at the moment, but 200M should be a go (though I'm not sure whether it fits under the 'experimental' r400 series) 

Comment

I just reinstalled kubuntu and im trying to get better drivers so I can run the openGL screensavers, I have a 9600xt, and by that list it seems that the only way to get 3D support is to use the proprietary ATI drivers (the open source radeon drive only supports 2D?) I'm just making sure I understand this correctly

Comment

Originally posted by BriGy86
            I just reinstalled kubuntu and im trying to get better drivers so I can run the openGL screensavers, I have a 9600xt, and by that list it seems that the only way to get 3D support is to use the proprietary ATI drivers (the open source radeon drive only supports 2D?) I'm just making sure I understand this correctly
            I'm afraid so...for now. Upgrades to the 'radeon' driver may bring 3D support for your card in the future, though, so keep an eye on it.

Comment

Working...
            X