Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessing the Personal User Dictionary of the Kate Text Editor in Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing the Personal User Dictionary of the Kate Text Editor in Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

(1) Logically, Kate's user dictionary is located in the user directory. Therefore, go to your user directory. It is sometimes called a "Place" that has the name "Home." The path to it will look like this:

/home/john

YOUR personal username will be different from "john" (if your name is not John).

(2) Click on "Show Hidden Files" or "View -> Hidden Files" (depending upon what program you're using to view and manage files).

(3) Here is the file that is used as Kate's user dictionary (if your language is American English):

/home/john/.hunspell_en_US

Again, that's this:

/home/john/.hunspell_en_US

(4) Using Kate, open up the ".hunspell_en_US" file and edit it as you see fit. Each word will be on its own line. Make sure that there is a newline character after the end of the last word in the file, so that the cursor, at the bottom of the file, can return to the left edge of the file. (An invisible newline character is entered whenever you press and release the enter key.)

Fishy post.

/usr/share/hunspell/en_US.aff
    /usr/share/hunspell/en_US.dic
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Don't mistake the spell checker's dictionary with the spell checker's USER dictionary. The USER dictionary is the file to which words are added when a user clicks on "Add to Dictionary." Words are added to this dictionary also when the user clicks on "Ignore All," instead of just "Ignore."

Comment

My apologies, you are right!

I've used Kate for years and never gave a thought to where the spell checking entries went. When I checked for ~/.hunspell_en_US I didn't find it because I never had spell checking turned on.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X