This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

useful tips go here

If I missed it, sorry for a repost. This is something for those who shoot first, and ask questions later. I have used it, and it is very handy. When you are new, and just want to start over on a dual boot system, you become anxious, and try to wipe the partition in windows. It leaves grub broken, and without a recovery disk handy, it is a life saver.

The method to fix the MBR is: 1. Boot the machine using the Live USB/CD. 2. Install lilo.

From the Lilo homepage:

"Nowadays LILO is not the bootloader for all situations. But LILO is longtime proved and stable. And it comes with basic GPT and RAID support.
    NOTE: I have finished development of LILO at December 2015 because of some limitations (e.g. with BTFS, GPT, RAID). If someone want to develop this nice software further, please let me know ..."

Lilo is in the repositories, but it has been unsupported for three years! It "may" work, but for how long? And, if you use Btrfs, or GPT then forget about using LILO.

Grub advantages over LILO include support for larger disks and support for EFI boot. If you are using old computer with working LILO, there is no specific reason to upgrade to GRUB.

Is Slackware the only distro still using LILO?

ELILO, for EFI booting, has problems.
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/elilo.html
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X