• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Disabled Snaps

To remove disabled snaps check them out first

At the terminal -----> snap list

Do you notice all the disabled Snaps?

Then use this command (I've checked it out first)

snap list --all | awk '/désactivé|disabled/{print $1, $3}' | while read snapname revision; do sudo snap remove "$snapname" --revision="$revision"; done

It works​

A super dupper command line to save ubuntu afficionados life and their disk space: remove disabled snap spreading accross the Snap store. snap list –all | awk ‘/désactivé|disabled/{prin…

Comment

Thank you very much for sharing this.
      Surely worth an alias for Snap users!
      Something like alias snapclean="snap list --all | awk '/désactivé|disabled/{print $1, $3}' | while read snapname revision; do sudo snap remove '$snapname' --revision='$revision'; done" (did not try if it works, not using any Snaps atm…).

On the other hand I do think that it is high time that Canonical starts providing a more simple way (!)…
      I just say: flatpak uninstall --unused
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 26, 2023, 07:50 PM. Reason: added alias suggestion
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

You are certainly welcome! Some people prefer Snap and others like Flatpak but I use them both in Discovery. I have not had good luck with either one because they often don’t work. I have found that installing software from the command line often works when it won’t work in Discovery or GNOME Software.

I use Discovery, GNOME Software, QSnapStore and Snap Store for browsing different software and getting different ideas of something that I might find useful and then end up installing it from the command line because it often does not work. They all have slightly different repositories so they are all a little different. Cheers!

Comment

If you have the packages plasma-discover-backend-snap and plasma-discover-backend-flatpak installed, Discover should show exactly the same things as all the other "software centers" (the informations provided for a program might slightly differ).
          Otherwise this is a bug, because they use the same *Ubuntu, Snap and Flatpak (Flathub) repositories.
          And personally I would back away from using GNOME Software in a KDE Plasma desktop environment., but that is just me…

APT in CLI or Synaptic will show additional things (and there is no Snap or Flatpak plugin for Synaptic).
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 27, 2023, 09:10 AM. Reason: typos
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
            If you have the packages plasma-discover-backend-snap and plasma-discover-backend-flatpak installed, Discover should show exactly the same things as all the other "software centers" (the informations provided for a program might slightly differ).
            I use Discovery the most and have the ‘Discover – Snap backend” installed along with the “Discover – Flatpak backend” installed, and I installed them from within Discover.

they use the same *Ubuntu, Snap and Flatpak (Flathub) repositories.
            I use 4 different software centers and I can tell you that they are a little different. I have had many times when I was looking for a certain app and couldn’t find it in any repository except for one. That was usually the “Snap Store”. I don’t think there is a bug but I think they filter the packages differantly because there are definitely differences between them.

And personally I would back away from using GNOME Software in a KDE Plasma desktop environment.
            I have heard this before. But according to a webpage called “About Kubuntu” it says “Kubuntu users are able to install and use the Gnome desktop easily on their system.” I didn’t do that but I do have some Gnome software on my system and have never experienced any problems. I thought the Kubuntu came with some Gnome software installed or maybe it was me and part of another package? Should I uninstall all my Gnome software? I hope it doesn’t break my operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffRedd View Post
              But according to a webpage called “About Kubuntu” it says “Kubuntu users are able to install and use the Gnome desktop easily on their system.”
              The only reason that some/many Kubuntu users say to shy away from packages that utilize Gnome is that it 'bloats' the Kubuntu installation. But these days, with huge GB/TB drives, this really isn't an issue. Basically, Kubuntu 'purists' don't want to "contaminate" their system with Gnome.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Basically, Kubuntu 'purists' don't want to "contaminate" their system with Gnome.
                Ha,ha,ha. That hilarious! Contaminate? If you say so Chief. Well I've found a few good things they came up with.

Comment

Working...
                X