KDE Plasma Packaging Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Plasma Packaging Recommendations

I found this link on Nate Grahams' blog (https://pointieststick.com/) today.

It contains valuable information not only for distribution packagers, but also for people who put together their individual Plasma experience, e.g. on top of a minimal Linux base, possible with - or like - Arch, Debian, Fedora Everything, Gentoo, openSUSE, Slackware or Ubuntu Server:

https://community.kde.org/Distributi...ecommendations

Addition

I checked the recommendations against a standard Kubuntu 22.04 installation.

For your information, there are some recommendations that are missing:
    • dolphin-plugins (could be worth installing even if you don't use version control systems like git, because it also contains Dropbox service integration and Mount ISO plugin)
    • kde-pim-addons (of course, because Kubuntu 22.04 does not use the PIM suite!)
    • kio-admin (only available in the Kubuntu Backports PPA - could be worth installing if you want to use Dolphin for managing files/folders with root privileges)
    • kio-gdrive (could be worth installing if you use Google Drive)
    • phonon4qt5-backend-vlc (this should be the mentioned "phonon-vlc" and could be worth installing if you work with VLC)
    The rest is either already installed (sometimes under a different package name like libkf5baloowidgets5) or seems not to be available in the (K)Ubuntu 22.04 repos (like maliit-keyboard).

I have to say that the Kubuntu team did a very good job for us - thank you!
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 09, 2023, 08:18 AM. Reason: addition for Kubuntu 22.04, typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)
Working...
X